Senior star causes racket

By Amber Greviskes

Ryler DeHeart’s tennis career at Illinois started without much fanfare.

He was one of the nation’s top recruits, ranked 23rd-nationally in the 18-and-under division, but his arrival was not nearly as anticipated as several other athletes.

Rajeev Ram, who signed with the team the same year, was the nation’s No.1 recruit. Chris Martin had been the top recruit when he joined the team in 2001. Amer Delic was the first No.1 recruit Illinois signed when he joined the Illini for the fall of 2000.

In the last four years though, the name Ryler DeHeart has become synonymous with Illinois tennis and success.

This weekend, the left-hander, who grew up emulating Pete Sampras and now Roger Federer, became the winningest singles player in Illinois history.

He beat Texas’ Callum Beale 6-3, 6-1 Friday night at the Longhorns’ Penick-Allison Tennis Center to take the top spot on the all-time singles career win list. DeHeart has amassed 124 singles victories in his career. In securing the record, DeHeart knocked off former All-American Michael Calkins, who DeHeart said has been one of the most influential people in his collegiate career.

“It was a good feeling,” DeHeart said. “But our team was fighting for our lives (against Texas).”

DeHeart’s teammates said they could not think of someone who deserved to break the record more.

“Ryler is a great guy,” fellow senior Pramod Dabir said. “He is the role model for what all-student athletes should be because of his great work ethic on and off the court.”

When Illinois hosted the 2005 United States Tennis Association Challenger of Champaign-Urbana for a week in November, DeHeart was hardly far from the tennis court.

He would sit in the balcony, icing a sprained ankle and trying to pick up tips from the professionals playing in the tournament. After the courts were cleared at night, he would hit with Ram, a 2003 All-American, and any other professionals who needed hitting partners.

It is that same work ethic that helped DeHeart become the top-ranked singles player in collegiate tennis for the first time in his career last season. Earlier this year, DeHeart was also the nation’s top-ranked college player. He is only the second Illini to become a top-ranked collegian. The first was 2003 NCAA doubles champion Brian Wilson.

“Ryler is a coach’s dream,” said Illinois volunteer assistant coach CJ Weber, who is in his first year with the team. “He’s really good to work with because he wants what is good for himself and the team.”

DeHeart is so centered on his team’s success he did not realize that he was in the midst of a record-breaking season until he read about it in a program two matches before he tied the record.

“Hopefully, Illinois tennis will remember me now,” DeHeart said.

DeHeart, who broke the record for most wins in a single season last year, said that although many people will remember the record, he hopes to be remembered because of the intangibles he brings to the team – like his hustle, leadership and determination.

His teammates, however, are more likely to remember the soft-spoken senior as someone who is always willing to help out – whether chauffeuring his teammates from practice to their dorms and apartments or teaching them the ropes of how to balance their time while excelling in their classes and collegiate athletics. He is also an easy target for practical jokes because he takes them so well. Although, he admits, he has had a few tricks up his sleeve in the past as well.

“There’s an aura about Ryler that attracts you to him and makes you want to get to know him better,” said Weber, who first met DeHeart while working at the tennis summer camps that Illinois hosts every year. “You know that every minute that you spend with the guy is going to be awesome.”

But, for as much as the Illini treasure their time with DeHeart, he values his time with everyone associated with Illinois tennis even more – from former coaches Craig Tiley and Bruce Berque, to the current Illini leaders. He is also grateful for the opportunity to meet the sponsors and fans who have been a part of his career.

“Illinois is about more than tennis and academics and details,” DeHeart said. “The main thing is the people that you meet who affect your life, and knowing how you affected them.”