Brown named to All-American basketball team

Dee Brown shoots over Shannon Brown of Michigan State in East Lansing on March 4. Brown led Illinois with 20 points in the 75-68 win to finish the regular season 25-5 (11-5). Adam Nekola

By Courtney Linehan

Dee Brown earned recognition as one of the nation’s best college basketball players when the John R. Wooden Award Committee officially announced its All-American Team on Tuesday.

Brown was named an All-American for the second season in a row. He also picked up a spot among the second five of the Wooden All-American team.

More than 1,000 voters, including members of the media and college basketball experts, voted for the 10 players to make the All-American team and the finalists for the Wooden Award.

Voters were instructed to elect the players they saw as the “most outstanding collegiate basketball player in the United States.” The decisions were based on on-court performance, character and academics.

Brown was one of the John R. Wooden Award’s five finalists during the 2005 season when Illinois played in its first national championship game. He also made the 10-member All-American team in 2005.

The 2006 Wooden Award All-Americans are Brown, Glen Davis, Randy Foye, Adam Morrison, Kevin Pittsnogle, Allan Ray, J.J. Redick, Brandon Roy, Craig Smith and Sheldon Williams.

The five Wooden Award Finalists are Foye, Morrison, Redick, Roy and Williams.

All of these finalists deserve to be recognized for their extraordinary level of play throughout the season,” Richard Llewellyn, founder and chairman of the Wooden Award, said in a press release. “We look forward to crowning one of these five outstanding players the 2006 Wooden Award winner.”

The Wooden Award ceremony will be held on April 8 at the Los Angeles Athletic Club.