Newly assigned punter turns 18

By Courtney Linehan

Kyle Yelton knew he had a big task ahead of him when he signed on to replace All-American Steve Weatherford as Illinois’ punter. But the Chesterton, Ind., native – who celebrates his 18th birthday today – says he’s ready to kick into high gear.

Q: After two days of official practice, what are your thoughts on life as an Illini?

A: It’s awesome. I think the first few weeks down here, because it’s my first semester, I was a little like a deer in the headlights. I didn’t really know what to expect. But know that I’ve gotten to know the guys, gotten into a routine, it was the best decision ever. I love it.

Q: What has been the tougher adjustment: getting used to college classes or learning the ropes of Big Ten football?

A: College football. College wasn’t tough because my parents are both teachers, so the education part wasn’t a problem. But the workouts have been tough, having to wake up early, be here at a certain time.

Q: Do you feel any added pressure stepping in for Steve Weatherford?

A: No. There’s a lot of pressure on you already, so there’s no reason to put pressure on yourself. The best thing is Jason Reda and Kyle Knezetic, when I’m out there doing punting, Reda’s behind me talking in my ear, saying, ‘Relax, breath, calm down.’ Reda does a phenomenal job.

Steve is phenomenal. When he’s in town I go out and just watch him. He’s amazing. I know I’ve got big shoes to fill, but that’s why I’m wearing his number. I just want to be like he was. And we’ll get there.

Q: Whose idea was it for you to wear 37, the number Weatherford wore?

A: We went out and kicked one day together after I was down here. They asked me what number I wanted to be, because I was number 12 in high school (and quarterback Billy Garza wears 12). Steve and I were out here kicking and I asked him if I could wear his number and he said yeah, no problem. I went to Coach Zook and then next day they said, ‘Here’s your number’ and had my name on the back and everything.

Q: What has been the worst thing about transitioning to college?

A: This is going to be a total freshman answer, but this whole syllabus thing, I didn’t know I had to check that before every class. Usually in high school they spoon-feed you.

Q: What’s it like to have your dad coach at a rival high school?

A: It’s nice, except for the week we played each other. It was a quiet household.

Q: Are you doing anything special for your birthday?

A: No. My parents are coming down Saturday for practice, so they’ll probably take me out. I might go out with some of the guys tomorrow night, but nothing special.

Q: Is there anything you’ll miss about being a minor? Is there anything you miss now about high school?

A: About being a minor? No. It’d be kind of different with all my friends from high school. I went home for spring break and went to see my friends at school and it was kind of like, hey, I should be sitting right there next to you. But it’ll be alright.