Conference streak stops at 86 wins

Conference streak stops at 86 wins

By Amber Greviskes

After nearly a decade of immaculate conference play, the Illinois men’s tennis team has lost.

Ohio State gained momentum early when seniors Scott Green and Ross Wilson, three-time national doubles champions, defeated Illinois sophomore Ruben Gonzales and senior Ryler DeHeart. Juniors Devin Mullings and Chris Kingemann clinched the doubles point for the Buckeyes though, defeating junior GD Jones and sophomore Ryan Rowe.

Down one point heading into singles, the Illini never recovered. Instead, No.6 Ohio State bested Illinois, the nation’s fifth-ranked team, 5-2.

“They have a strong team,” said Illinois assistant coach Kent Kinnear. “We fought hard; we just came out short.”

The loss snaps an 86-match winning streak dating back to April 1997. Illinois has won nine Big Ten regular season titles, including eight perfect seasons.

“The record doesn’t bother me; it had to happen sometime,” DeHeart said. “We can’t go undefeated in the Big Ten forever.”

Although the amazing winning streak is over, Kinnear said he is still proud of the team’s ability to fight through adversity. The team has already had to overcome many injuries this season.

Only DeHeart and Rowe were able to pick up singles victories this weekend. DeHeart handed Mullings a 6-4, 6-1 loss. Rowe won by default when freshman Steven Moneke withdrew midway through the third set because of injury. Despite his victory, the team loss greatly affected DeHeart.

“I don’t like losing to Ohio State. I haven’t ever done it before. And, I don’t plan on doing it ever again,” DeHeart said. “This one loss doesn’t make or break the championship part of the season.”

Still, the team has come a long way. The team is walking a thin line to make sure it avoids aggravating injuries now to be prepared for the championship portion of the season, DeHeart said. The Buckeyes may not have seen the Illini’s best performance either, Rowe said.

“Everyone fought really hard,” Rowe said. “But I don’t think they saw the full strength of our team. We’ll be alright. Sometimes things just don’t work out like you think they will.”

Ohio State is now the only undefeated Big Ten team in the conference. Michigan, which was also 3-0 was upset by Minnesota this weekend in Ann Arbor. The Buckeyes improved to 16-1 overall, 4-0 in the Big Ten. Illinois is now 13-5 overall and 3-1 in the Big Ten.

The Illini will play at home again on Saturday when they take on Michigan State at noon.

“We just need to keep trying to improve and begin working hard for the tournament,” Rowe said.

Kinnear agreed and said he believes his team is capable of beating Ohio State.

“We’re just going to try to get them when it comes time for Big Tens,” Kinnear said.