DB Dere Hicks talks football

By Courtney Linehan

Dere Hicks is a first semester freshman on campus early to get a head start in his Illini football career. A 5-foot-10, 175-pound defensive back from Roanoke, Va., Hicks lettered in football, track and basketball in high school, earning all-state recognition for his contributions to the William Fleming High School football team. Last fall he led his prep school team from Valley Forge Military Academy to an undefeated season. Now he hopes to make a big splash at Illinois.

Q: What’s been the toughest part of practice so far?

A: It’s the repetition of everything. It’s rapid-fire. In high school you got a little rest, but it’s rapid-fire here.

Q: What’s the biggest benefit of being here for the spring season?

A: I know that if I would have come in as a freshman I would have had to learn everything much quicker. I’ve got a longer process to get adjusted to the system, so I’ll have an upper hand on the guys coming in this fall.

Q: How did you pick Illinois?

A: Back in high school I had a teammate who went to Florida, so he knew coach Locksley. They told me he was a great guy. Then Coach Zook came to my house and really impressed my mom.

Q: What other schools recruited you?

A: UVA, because I’m from Virginia. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan State and West Virginia.

Q: Did you want to go Big Ten or just happen to get a lot of attention from Big Ten schools?

A: Because I went to prep school in Philadelphia I got most of my interest up north.

Q: You played quarterback in high school and prep school. Which do you like better, QB or cornerback?

A: I love corner. I like getting the chance to make a big opportunity for our team, on either side of the ball. So I kind of like corner now.

Q: What do you see as your biggest strengths?

A: My speed. That’s why they really recruited me, because of my speed. Back in Virginia I won the state in the 100, 200 and 300 meter hurdles.

Q: What’s the biggest difference between Virginia and Illinois?

A: There’s no mountains, not as many trees. And people talk a little different out here.

Q: Your full name is Brandt Vincent Dere Hicks. Where does Dere come from?

A: My mom and my dad, ever since I was little just called me Dere, and it’s followed me all through my life. It’s really French; my mom got it from a French book.

Q: What’s your favorite food?

A: Fried chicken. We live with my grandma back in Virginia, and my grandma usually cooks for us every night. I love her fried chicken.

Q: If you could play any sport at any school other than football at Illinois, what sport would you play and where?

A: Out of high school I had a lot of track and field offers and my dad went to University of North Carolina for track and field, so I’d have to say that. Track and field at UNC.