One on one with Kevin Mitchell

By Courtney Linehan

Kevin Mitchell is heading into his junior season as a safety on the Illinois football team. Mitchell, who is known as ‘Juice,’ led the Illini in tackles in 2005 – and expects to improve his stats in 2006. Today is Mitchell’s 21st birthday and, luckily for him, a much appreciated day off from spring practice.

Q: What is your favorite thing about the spring season?

A: Being able to gel with the team, getting a feel for what new defenses are being put in. Getting a feel for the new defensive coordinator, and as a whole just coming together as a team.

Q: The media guide says the defensive backs will be the strength of the defense this year. Do you agree, and if so, why?

A: Yeah, I agree with that because if you look at it, we’re the ones that have played the most. We continued to improve last year. The defense as a whole continue to improve, but the DBs as a whole continue to improve each day.

Q: How is transfer safety Justin Sanders holding up in his first few weeks as an Illini?

A: I think he has great potential as an all-around athlete. He’s adjusting well. Obviously he’s never had practices like this where it’s intense, always on the go, but he’s handling it well. I think he’ll do big things for us.

Q: What improvements did the defense make this winter?

A: I think overall we’ve become bigger, faster, stronger. Now we have to put that onto play on the field, which I think the last couple practices we’ve done.

Q: What’s your favorite thing about Coach Lou?

A: I guess his enthusiasm. He makes you want to do that extra 10 pounds when that day you really don’t feel like doing it. He makes you want to work harder and harder for him.

Q: What about Curt Mallory? What are his biggest strengths as a coach?

A: Coach Mal, obviously he’s a person that we see every day. I like him. He’s enthusiastic as well. I like the fact that he’s young; he can relate to us better than some of the other coaches.

Q: A lot of people have said new defensive coordinator Vince Okruch looks like a celebrity. Who do you think he looks like?

A: I don’t know, to be honest. I think the Dick Butkus one works, or the Tom Selleck one works. But I don’t know.

Q: How is he holding up?

A: I think he likes it. It’s a challenge. It’s a challenge for everybody because we’re trying to be Big Ten champs. Every day is a challenge to get us to where we want to be.

Q: I don’t know if you’ve heard, but there’s an incoming freshman who also goes by the nickname Juice.

A: It’s really not a big deal to me. I’ve been asked about that 150 times probably. It’s one of the things that’s weird. I heard he has a tattoo; he takes it way more seriously than I do. But I can’t wait until he gets here; he’ll be a really big addition to the team. I’ve met him before; he’s a good person.

Q: Can there be two Juices on a football team?

A: I think so. I’m not giving up on whatever I have; it’s kind of ingrained. People aren’t going to stop calling you a nickname they’ve been calling you for years. The only difference is I won’t call him that and he won’t call me that.

Q: Do you have any special plans for mom’s weekend?

A: Not really. I don’t think my mom is even coming; I think my sister has some basketball tournament or something like that. My dad will be here for the scrimmage, of course.

Q: What about for your 21st birthday? Doing anything special?

A: I’m excited. I’m turning 21 on Thursday and I’ll be celebrating on Saturday.