First scrimmage takes a ‘different look at things’

By Courtney Linehan

While the weather was sunny and the practice field was dry, Illinois football moved inside the stadium for the second half of Wednesday’s practice so it could complete its first scrimmage of the spring.

The Illini got through more than 30 plays and half a game, coach Ron Zook said, during their 40-minute scrimmage.

“It was something a little different, a different look at things,” Zook said. “Things went fast, but they were trying and that’s all we can ask at this point.”

The Illini wore full pads for the second time since starting spring practice, and Zook said he was happy with the improvements he saw compared to Saturday’s first full-pad effort. He stressed that he was impressed with the effort from Illinois’ defense, which continues to improve.

“The defense had some takeaways today and that is something we have been stressing this spring,” Zook said. “We didn’t give up as many big plays as a defense, so I can see we are making progress.”

Wednesday’s scrimmage involved the first string facing the second, but Zook said on Saturday he expects to see more one-on-one action. He thinks a bigger chunk of the workout will be dedicated to scrimmaging, and that the team will do more short yardage and goal line work.

“As a staff, we’re coaching hard. We’re demanding,” Zook said. “We have a long way to go, and we have to get as much as we can done this spring.”

Brasic getting back in the swing

Zook said quarterback Tim Brasic made serious improvement in his second practice back in action. The senior, who was suspended for academic reasons, has a lot to make up in a short time, Zook said, because the team has gotten through as much in five practices as it did all of last spring. Still, Brasic is quickly catching up.

“He was much better today. Still a little rusty, but we’ve got a lot of offense and a lot of defense in,” Zook said. “Even though he’s been there and done that, he’s still a little rusty, but he got better as the scrimmage went on. Tim’s a competitor; he’s going to do what he has to do to stay in there.”

Seniors stepping up

Zook said Illinois’ upcoming seniors, especially running backs E.B. Halsey and Pierre Thomas, have upped both the intensity and the leadership in just their first few weeks piloting the Illini. Zook said seniors often show great improvement because they know their time in college is winding down, but that he’s excited with how this group is quickly making improvements.

“I think they understand that everything they’re doing right now, they’re doing it for the last time,” Zook said. “It’s their last spring, it’s their last fifth practice.”