Brown heads home for training

By Courtney Linehan

James Augustine stayed in Champaign to finish up the last requirements for his degree, but former Illinois point guard Dee Brown – who graduated in December – has been in Chicago for almost a month now, working with a trainer and focusing fulltime on preparations for the NBA draft.

Brown, who attended Proviso East High School, says he spends his days working with his trainer to fine-tune the strengths he’s honed in four years at Illinois, and to adjust his skills for the demands he’ll face at the professional level.

“The NBA game and the college game are two totally different types of basketball,” Brown says. “There’s more to the NBA game, like footwork and stuff. I’m taking the same number of shots every day, but I’m doing more stuff in addition to it.”

Brown hopes to make it as an NBA point guard. But just skimming 6-feet and with a shooting average that’s dipped slightly since the 2004-05 season, Brown knows he has a lot to prove to critics and NBA scouts alike. He says that thanks to four years and the winningest career in Illini history, he’s ready to show the world what he can do.

“I know how to play the game, because they do a great job of teaching you at the University of Illinois,” Brown says. “I had great coaches, great teammates around me.”

Brown says his game is versatile enough to fit in a variety of situations and a number of different game plans. He’s played point guard and shooting guard, and is ready to do whatever a team needs. While he’s waiting to hear his name called, he says, he’ll keep working on the little things that make or break players’ chances in the NBA.

“You’ve got to work a little harder,” Brown says, “because everybody’s at the same level and everybody’s chasing the same dream.”