Illini end trip to Rantoul with a strong performance at scrimmage

Adam Babcock Adam Babcock

By Courtney Linehan

Illinois football wrapped up its two-week stay in Rantoul with a scrimmage Saturday afternoon, closing its preseason training camp with a strong showing from the offense, which scored four touchdowns in the nearly two-hour practice game.

“It was a good camp this year. Everything clicked this year, our offense was doing really good,” senior offensive lineman Adam Wilk said. “Our defense was doing really good, it seems like we were really putting everything together.”

Senior running back Pierre Thomas opened the scoring with a 1-yard touchdown run on the third drive. Junior back Russ Weil, sophomore wide receiver Jody Ellis, and junior wide receiver Charles Bailey all scored touchdowns for the offense.

“The DBs and the receivers have really gotten after each other this whole camp,” head coach Ron Zook said. “We thought we really had to improve our blocking and we felt like defensively, in the secondary, we weren’t getting off the block.”

Freshman defensive back Vontae Davis, however, stole the show as usual, returning an interception 28 yards to score for the defense.

“I thought Vontae had a nice day,” defensive coordinator Vince Okruch said. “The interior stuff you can’t really tell from the sideline, you have to wait until you see it on film.”

FAN FRENZY

The Illini football, soccer and volleyball teams greeted fans at Memorial Stadium on Sunday afternoon. Players signed autographs, chatted with the crowd and helped run interactive games for the more than 1,000 people in attendance.

“Without the fans, without them supporting us, we couldn’t do what we do on the field,” senior quarterback Tim Brasic said. “They’re just faithful Illini fans. They’re dedicated, they can’t wait for a good season, and we can’t wait to give it to them.”

All the Illini players were available on the field for a chance to get closer to the people who usually fill the stands.

“This is a chance for the fans to meet us one-on-one, face-to-face,” sophomore wide receiver Derrick McPhearson said. “And for us it’s great to come out and give back to them just like they give to us.”

HOMECOMING GIFT

The Illini returned to Champaign after Saturday’s scrimmage to find new rubber added to the field at Memorial Stadium.

“It’s so nice and soft on the field,” Wilk said. “I love it.”