Red meat & volleyball with Vicki Brown

By Jessica Warchall

Junior middle blocker Vicki Brown is off to a strong start this season as she tallied a career-high 32 total attacks during the first match of the season versus Illinois State on Aug. 25.

Brown was only one shy of her career-high 19 kills the following day versus Winthrop. Brown helped the Illini to a 6-0 season last weekend as she again posted 18 kills and earned her second MVP tournament title in as many weeks.

Question: What has been your favorite moment in Illinois volleyball?

Answer: The USC game. That was such a big win and we had an awesome support group from students and people in the community.

Q: What is your favorite thing to do outside of volleyball?

A: I like to cook a lot. I’ll just go home and think of something that I’d like to cook that’s new.

Q: Do you have a favorite dish to cook?

A: My baked spaghetti; I’m not going to lie, it’s pretty good.

Q: What is your biggest achievement?

A: Going to college. Not many people in my family go to college. They graduate high school then start college, but something usually happens so they can’t finish, so I’m just glad to be in my third year in college.

Q: Do you have any rituals before your matches?

A: When we sing the Star Spangled Banner I kiss up to heaven and thank God that I’m here.

Q: What is one thing you cannot live without?

A: I cannot live without red meat. If red meat disappeared, I don’t know what I would do.

Q: What is your major?

A: My major is history, and I have absolutely loved history ever since I can remember. That was my number one subject that I always got an A in. You get a broader sense of history in college, which I like a lot.

Q: What do you plan on doing with your major?

A: I want to do secondary education and get my teaching certificate wherever I end up after college.

Q: Who is your favorite music artist?

A: Luther Vandross and Prince.