Q & A with Illini Kristine Anderson

Adam Babcock The Daily Illini Adam Babcock

By Lucas Deal

Kristine Anderson is a sophomore defensive specialist on the Illinois volleyball team. A transfer from Parkland and a native of Clinton, Anderson has been nicknamed “Dash” by Illini head coach Don Hardin for her speed and style of play.

Question: Why did you choose the University of Illinois?

Answer: It’s the competitive type of school I wanted to go to. I had planned on transferring after two years at Parkland, but it happened a little bit sooner than I expected.

Q: What’s it like to play for a Big Ten team?

A: I’m definitely excited to be on a Big Ten team. The competitive drive is such a plus. They push you hard at everything and you go all-out all the time. They really develop you not only as a player but as a person as well.

Q: What’s your favorite part of playing at Huff Hall?

A: The fans keep on coming out and I’ve never played in front of a crowd like we get here. There were only about 50 or 100 people at Parkland games.

Q: If you weren’t playing volleyball, would you have played another sport?

A: I used to run track, that definitely helped me become a faster volleyball player, but my heart really wasn’t in it so I don’t think I would do something else.

Q: What do you do when you’re not playing volleyball?

A: I’m attempting to learn tennis right now. I’m horrible. My boyfriend is really into it and his goal is to teach me enough so we can at least volley back and forth.

Q: Are you pro- or anti-chief?

A: I’m pro. He brings out the school spirit in everyone and definitely has a place in all of our hearts.

Q: What is your major and how did you choose it?

A: I’m an elementary education major. I actually was undecided when I transferred here in the spring, but I took a class and liked it and it helped me discover what I wanted to do. I’m definitely glad I transferred to the U of I.

Q: What is your favorite Coach Hardin phrase or quote?

A: I don’t know really. He calls me Dash from “The Incredibles.” He calls me that all the time.

Q: What is your favorite type of music?

A: I’m more of an alternative type of girl, but I’ll listen to anything. I listen to country too because I’m from a small town, and the girls give me a lot of grief because of that.

Q: Do you like MTV, or hate it with a passion and think it’s the root of all evil?

A: I like it, I like reality TV. As long as I have it I’ll watch it.