Bears’ defense, kicker key in win

Bears defense, kicker key in win

By Chris Jenkins

GREEN BAY, Wis. – Brett Favre is back, but the Chicago Bears did their best to make sure nobody noticed.

The Bears delivered the first shutout of Favre’s 16-year career on Sunday, beating the Green Bay Packers 26-0 at Lambeau Field.

“I was optimistic going into this game, I really was,” Favre said. “Maybe I was the only one, but I really felt like we could surprise these guys. Obviously, that was not the case.”

Bears coach Lovie Smith called Favre, a three-time MVP, one of the “all-time great quarterbacks.”

“It’s hard to get a shut out in the National Football League anytime,” Smith said. “To get it on the road with No. 4 as the quarterback is definitely special.”

Favre, who deliberated for several months before deciding to return to the Packers this season, spent much of the first half on the sideline as quarterback Rex Grossman led Chicago on several long drives.

Grossman found wide receiver Bernard Berrian for a 49-yard touchdown pass on the opening drive. It was the Bears’ only offensive touchdown of the day, but Chicago continued to move the ball well enough to keep the ball largely out of Favre’s hands.

And when Favre was in the game, he mostly handed off – until it was too late. Favre was five-for-five for 70 yards in the first half.

The Packers opened up the offense in the second half, but Favre couldn’t find the end zone and threw interceptions to Charles Tillman and Danieal Manning in the fourth quarter.

“Yeah, give them credit,” Favre said. “(But) maybe we just ain’t very good.”

New Packers coach Mike McCarthy didn’t blame Favre. He was more concerned about his team’s inability to convert on third down – they were 1-for-11 – or protect Favre.

McCarthy said the Packers’ two rookie guards, a major concern going into the season, performed acceptably in run blocking. But Favre was sacked three times – including once when rookie guard Jason Spitz stepped on his foot.

Grossman has been limited by injuries to only seven regular-season starts in his previous three NFL seasons, but seems to have no problem outdueling Favre at Lambeau Field when healthy.

Grossman was 18-of-26 for 262 yards as he ran his career record to 3-0 at Lambeau Field.

“We were able to move the ball up and down the field, but I’d still like to finish up some of those drives,” Grossman said. “That’s going to be key in the coming weeks, because eventually the other team will score.”

Grossman and the Bears kept moving the ball with downfield passing plays, setting up kicker Robbie Gould for four field goals.