Player Profile: Marti Desjarlais of Illini Soccer

By Staff Reports

Most people don’t think of running as fun, and Illini soccer mid fielder, Marti Desjarlais, isn’t any different. Unless you pair it with soccer, that is. According to Coach Janet Rayfield, Desjarlais has the best stamina on the team.

“Marti’s aerobic base probably tops on the team in terms of just how long she can run. And so, Marti gets stronger and stronger as the game goes on and faster and faster because as other players fatigue Marti just doesn’t.”

Desjarlais not only excels on the field but in the classroom. She is one of the 2006 George Huff award winners, which recognizes athletes with a GPA of at least a 3.0. Desjarlais says that keeping your grades up is just a matter of budgeting your time.

“Since everyone has homework we study on the bus and we’ll have time in the hotel rooms and things like that. But you just have to stay on top of it and, um, you know, use time management, and I use this little assignment notebook all the time.

Rayfield said Desjarlais is the kind of player who combines together a lot of different talents. Rayfield hopes that in the future Desjarlais will be the one that ties and brings the team together both on and off the field.