Men’s cross country optimistic despite prior Big Ten performance

By Erin Foley

Last year’s 10th-place finish at the Big Ten Championships was not what the Illinois men’s cross country team had envisioned for themselves. But now with a new-look squad that includes three freshmen and two redshirts who sat out the 2005 campaign, the Illini are hoping to see big results Sunday when they compete in the conference meet in Bloomington, Ind.

“Last year’s Big Ten meet was very disappointing, and I think everyone here is going to go to the meet with something to prove,” said junior Dan Stock. “It’s been a while since Illinois ran up to its capabilities and where it should be in the Big Ten.”

But the task in front of the Illini won’t be easy. The Big Ten boasts No. 1-ranked Wisconsin, No. 14 Minnesota, No. 17 Iowa and No. 18 Michigan. With the conference being the powerhouse it has been for the last five to 10 years, every team in the Big Ten takes this race as seriously as the next. But for an Illinois team that will be riding the momentum it gained from Pre-Nationals on Oct. 14, running against the best could work to their advantage. Even after an average race at Pre-Nationals, the Illini finished a respectable 15th out of 32 teams.

“We don’t like to make too many predictions, but if we run well, we could be anywhere from second to seventh,” senior Jason Bill said, emphasizing the Big Ten’s stiff competition. “It’s going to be a close battle, but every point is going to matter.”

With a tighter pack in practices and in recent meets, head coach Wendel McRaven said the Illini’s goal is to have five runners finish in the top 30 to 35. McRaven said he hopes two or three runners will be in the top 20 and the fourth and fifth runners will finish between 20th and 35th. McRaven has even estimated that if the Illini get close to 125 points, they can earn a top five finish. The race could come down to five teams separated by 20 to 30 points, McRaven said.

Nine runners will compete for the Illini at the Big Ten meet. The Illini’s front pack of runners includes senior Jason Bill, along with junior Trent Hoerr and freshman Jeremy Stevens. After battling illnesses for a few weeks, Bill and Hoerr are finally healthy and looking better in workouts.

While the team strives to improve their standing among Big Ten peers, the Illini will look for help from freshman Jeremy Stevens. The Winnebago, Ill., native was the Illinois Class A Cross Country Champion in 2005 and holds the 3200-meter state record.

“He’s the type of kid that you can rely on; there’s some kids that have a lot of talent, but sometimes have up and down races,” Bill said. “It seems like with Jeremy he’s always going to compete at the highest level he’s capable of. That’s what we need.”

Another important factor for the Illini will be Stock, who placed 33rd at last year’s Big Ten Championships and individually qualified for the national championships last November.

“Stock is back to being about where he was last year at this point,” McRaven said. “That’s a positive because if he can run as well or better than he did last year at this point, that’s going to be exciting.”

Senior Maciej Sniegorski, freshmen Rob Pykosz and Jacob Nachel and juniors Mike Kelley and Matt Flaherty will also run Sunday.

“We have front-runners like Jason Bill, but it’s going to be important for our 3,4,5,6 guys to stay together,” Pykosz said. “The closer that pack can be, the better off we will be.”

With a good team dynamic and the Illini gelling at the right time, McRaven said a top-five finish is a reality.

“This is when the season starts,” Stock said. “The Big Ten meet is when it’s time to rock and roll; we’re ready, and we’re excited just to run up to our capabilities.”