Top-rated point guard makes trip to Assembly Hall

By Erin Foley

As highlights from the Illini’s comeback victory against Arizona played on the scoreboard Friday night, Derrick Rose intently watched from his seat at the Assembly Hall. Rose, the top-rated point guard in nation, made a visit to Champaign for the annual Orange and Blue Scrimmage.

The Simeon High School star’s visit comes two weeks after prized recruit Eric Gordon snubbed the Illini for Indiana and head coach Kelvin Sampson. Rose, who was making his second trip to see Illinois, has narrowed his choices to Indiana, Memphis and Illinois. Rose will make his decision Nov. 4 in an invitation-only press conference, said his brother, Reggie Rose, who did the talking Friday night. The fall signing period begins Nov. 8 and Rose will not make any more visits until that time, Reggie Rose said.

“Before we just make the decision, we just have to make sure it’s going to be the right decision,” Reggie Rose said. “That was the main thing about coming back down here and taking a second look.”

The pair will attend practice today at the Ubben Basketball Facility. Reggie Rose said they will be taking a thorough look at how the players and coaches interact with each other.

Read more about Derrick Rose and the llini’s Orange and Blue Scrimmage in Monday’s Daily Illini.