Turnovers tell story in defeat

Brad Vest The Daily Illini Illinois Juice Williams escapes Wisconsins defense and completes a pass to (4) Derrick McPhearson, not pictured, during Saturdays game, October 28, 2006, at Camp Randall Stadium, Madison. The Illini started strong helping get a 21-3 lead in the second quarter, but the Illini couldnt find a way to score in the second half and ended up losing the game 24-30.

Brad Vest The Daily Illini Illinois’ Juice Williams escapes Wisconsin’s defense and completes a pass to (4) Derrick McPhearson, not pictured, during Saturday’s game, October 28, 2006, at Camp Randall Stadium, Madison. The Illini started strong helping get a 21-3 lead in the second quarter, but the Illini couldn’t find a way to score in the second half and ended up losing the game 24-30.

By Jason Grodsky

MADISON, Wis. – Both Illinois and Wisconsin took full advantage of the other’s turnovers throughout Saturday’s game. The Illini used two Badger turnovers in the first half to jump out to a 21-3 lead, but the Badgers turned the tables on the Illini in the second half, using an interception to mount momentum and come back to eventually win.

Illini freshman cornerback Travon Bellamy put the Illini ahead 7-0 late in the first quarter with a 41-yard interception return for a touchdown. Bellamy’s interception was the first of his career and the first interception returned for a touchdown by the Illini since 2004.

“Once I got my hands on the ball I knew I had a chance to take it the distance,” Bellamy said. “Juice (Kevin Mitchell) threw a great block that opened me up and I took it from there.”

Illinois’ defense again helped the Illini put seven more points on the scoreboard in the second quarter when Illinois sophomore defensive lineman David Lindquist recovered a fumble forced by junior defensive lineman Chris Norwell at the Wisconsin 24-yard line.

The Illini would punch the ball into the Badger end zone eight plays later to take a 21-3 lead.

But on Illinois’ first drive of the second half the tides turned. With the Illini ahead 24-10, freshman quarterback Juice Williams was intercepted on the Illini’s 39-yard line by Wisconsin senior linebacker Mike Zalewski.

Zalewski’s interception would set up a 17-yard touchdown pass by Badger senior quarterback John Stocco to junior receiver Luke Swan that cut the Illini’s lead to seven.

Wisconsin used the momentum from the interception to score 20 unanswered points and ruin the Illini’s bid at an upset win on the road.

“It’s going to take a 60 minute effort from us to win,” head coach Ron Zook said. “We can’t make a blunder here or a blunder there. Everybody needs to hit on all cylinders without mistakes.”

Versatile McPhearson

Illinois receiver Derrick McPhearson has provided the Illini offense with a boost of late, but not where you would expect it.

While McPhearson has put up respectable numbers receiving for the Illini this season, seven catches for 152 yards, the sophomore has found a new way to help contribute to the Illini offense in the running game.

The last two games McPhearson has been used as part of the Illini’s option rushing attack and has carried the ball six times for 23 yards to go along with three catches for 87 yards. His versatility has allowed the Illini to spread opposing defenses out and keep them off balance.

“I just want to be a playmaker for this offense and this team,” McPhearson said. “We’re just trying to make plays any way possible. We have a lot of athletes on this team and we’re just trying to utilize everyone to the best ability.”

Punting blunders

For the second consecutive week Illinois failed to win the battle for field position. The Illini’s struggles this week can be contributed to its poor performance in the punting game.

With swirling winds at Camp Randall Stadium freshman punter Kyle Yelton punted the ball six times for 170 yards and averaged just 28.3 yards per punt. Yelton’s only good punt of the day, a 42-yarder in the fourth quarter, was courtesy of a good bounce that pushed the Badgers back to the Illinois 45-yard line.

“The wind was swaying, but that’s no excuse for me,” Yelton said. “I just have to do a better job.”

Illinois’ struggles in the punting game didn’t just come in the kicking aspect, but also the receiver. Illini senior running back E.B. Halsey fumbled a Wisconsin punt in the first half after the ball nicked his leg. The muffed punt set up the Badgers first score of the game, a 21 yard field goal by junior place kicker Taylor Mehlhaff.

Injuries

Illinois senior offensive lineman Charles Myles and sophomore defensive lineman Derrick Walker both sustained ankle sprains that caused them to miss significant playing time.

Wisconsin redshirt freshman running back and Big Ten rushing leader P.J. Hill was knocked out of the game not once by the Illini, but twice. The first came on a hit by Illini redshirt freshman Doug Pilcher in the first quarter and the second on a hit by junior defensive back Justin Harrison in the third quarter.

—————————-

All images credit: Brad Vest, The Daily illini

1. Illinois’ head coach Ron Zook takes a look at the scoreboard as Wisconsin cut Illinois lead to only 7 about halfway through the third quarter of Saturday’s game, October 28, 2006, at Camp Randall Stadium against Wisconsin. The Illini went on to lose the game 24-30 after having a 21-3 lead in the first half.

2. Illinois’ Juice Williams (7) hands the ball off to Pierre Thomas (30) during the first half Saturday’s game, October 28, 2006, at Camp Randall Stadium, Madison. Wisconsin beat the Illini 30-24 after the Illini had an 18 point lead in the second quarter.

3. Illinois’ Brit Miller brings down Wisconsin’s P.J. Hill early in the first quarter of Saturday’s game, October 28, 2006, at Camp Randall Stadium, Madison. The Illini defense started strong helping get a 21-3 lead in the second quarter, but the Illini couldn’t find a way to score in the second half and ended up losing the game 24-30.

4. Illinois’ J. Leman (47) clashes with Wisconsin’s Jeff Holtzbauer, as Vontae Davis (1) ensures Holtzbauer can’t escape during Saturday’s game, October 28, 2006, at Camp Randall Stadium, Madison. The Illini lost the game 24-30 after having a 21-3 lead in the second quarter of the game.

5. Illinois’ Antonio James blocks a pass by Wisconsin’s quarterback John Stocco during Saturday’s game, October 28, 2006, at Camp Randall Stadium, Madison. The Illini defense started strong getting a 21-3 lead in the second quarter, but the Illini couldn’t find a way to score in the second half and ended up losing the game 24-30.

6. Illinois’ Juice Williams escapes Wisconsin’s defense and completes a pass to (4) Derrick McPhearson, not pictured, during Saturday’s game, October 28, 2006, at Camp Randall Stadium, Madison. The Illini started strong helping get a 21-3 lead in the second quarter, but the Illini couldn’t find a way to score in the second half and ended up losing the game 24-30.

7. Illinois’ Jeff Cumberland makes a break upfield during Saturday’s game, October 28, 2006, at Camp Randall Stadium, Madison. Wisconsin beat the Illini 30-24 after the Illini had an 18 point lead in the second quarter.