LIVE – Illinois football blog

By Troy Murray

8:59 left in the game – Jason Reda boots a field goal through for Illinois’ first points of the day. Illini fans erupt in delight, almost mockingly. This is quite an improvement from last year, though, when Ohio State beat 40-2.

12:00 left in the game – Leman has 15 tackles through three quarters. In the third quarter alone, the Illinois defense recorded four tackles for a loss, two of which were sacks. I don’t know what Zook or defensive coordinator Vince Okruch told them at halftime, but the defense has definitely stepped up the intensity in the second half.

End of the third quarter – Sophomore defensive lineman Will Davis delivered a bone jarring blindside hit on Smith that I could practically feel all the way up in the press box to end the third quarter. The Illinois defense held Ohio State to just nine yards of total offense in the third quarter – a sign of good things to come or good sportsmanship on the part of the Buckeyes?

4:26 left in the third – No, you’re eyes aren’t deceiving you – senior Tim Brasic, in fact, did enter the game at quarterback. What’s the point? What does this accomplish? Illinois has only three first downs up to this point. But if anything, this could hurt Williams’ confidence.

8:00 left in the third – This is what makes Ohio State a national title contender – not the offense, but its scary good defense. Rashard Mendenhall looked more like a rag doll when he was thrown for a loss of 1 on Illinois’ own 2 yardline.

9:00 left in the third – The Illinois defense looks like its playing with more confidence in the second half. Vontae Davis just broke up a perfectly thrown deep ball to Ted Ginn – pretty impressive for a true freshman. Ginn has been relatively quiet so far (knock on wood), catching just five balls for 26 yards.

1:15 left in the half – I thought J Leman’s sack would essentially take the Buckeyes out of field goal range. Think again. Ohio State’s redshirt freshman kicker Aaron Pettrey booted a 50-yard field goal through, making it a 17 point halftime deficit.

6:20 left in the second – Williams’ fumble was overturned by indisputable video evidence. Too bad Illinois had to punt on the next play. That’s Illini football, though. Just when a break comes Illinois’ way, it comes at exactly the wrong time.

10:00 left in the second – Illinois just used its third punter of the season. Jared Bosch joined the relatively unsuccessful pair of freshman Kyle Yelton and rugby punter DaJuan Warren. Needless to say, the Illinois special teams need some work in the off-season.

12:39 left in the second – Ohio State took advantage of Illinois’ fumble, making the score 14-0 on Anthony Pittman’s first score of the day.

2:00 left in the first – Chalk another one up for the wide receivers. Derrick McPhearson fumbled at the Illinois 41 yardline and Ohio State recovered on the 38. Who else hopes that five-star receiver Arrelious Benn picks Illinois over Maryland and Florida State? The Illini wide receivers sure could use some help with catching and holding onto the ball.

4:11 left in the first – Here’s to hoping Juice Williams turns into the next Smith. Not only does Smith throw a strong, tight spiral, but he runs better than any other quarterback in the country and takes care of the ball. His touchdown to interception ratio is 11:1 – pretty impressive and definitely yet another statistic that makes Smith worthy of the Heisman Trophy this season.

8:06 left in the first – What does it have to take for head coach Ron Zook to realize that senior running back E.B. Halsey does not belong returning kicks. After his latest muffed kick return, I don’t think I can count his mistakes on two hands anymore.

8:16 left in the first – When Illinois held Ohio State on third and goal, I thought it was a minor victory on the day – that was until the Buckeyes went for it on fourth and goal and Anthony Pittman pushed it through for the first score of the day. This could get ugly quick. Ohio State marched down the field uncontested. The Buckeyes have so many weapons on offense it’s ridiculous. QB Troy Smith completed a pass to four different players and used his legs when he had to.

14:30 left in the first – J Leman collected his 99th tackle of the season on the first play from scrimmage when he took out Anthony Pittman at the line. A sign of good things to come? No. On the next play Pittman broke one for a first down.

With 40 minutes left until game time, there’s more red than orange in Memorial Stadium, the Block I is no were near filled, and Ohio State came close to stomping on the ‘I’ at midfield. This game could turn into a slaughter, but I would have liked to see Illini fans come out and flock to the stadium. Who knows when the next time a top ranked team will visit Illinois. Why not come out and enjoy it