Led by Leman, Illini linebackers produce strong defense despite loss to Buckeyes

By Courtney Linehan

Before facing Ohio State, J Leman needed just two tackles to break the century mark this season.

The junior linebacker far surpassed that on Saturday, laying down 19 tackles as Illinois held the No.1-ranked Buckeyes to just two touchdowns. It was Ohio State’s smallest margin of victory this season.

“I went over to J at one point and asked him if he was tired,” Illinois coach Ron Zook said. “He said no, and I said, ‘Good, cause you’re not coming out.'”

Leman’s 19 tackles included 3.5 tackles for loss, costing Ohio State 17 yards. Leman, a Butkus Award candidate, also recorded one sack for an 8-yard loss.

Illinois’ other linebackers put up impressive numbers as well, with Antonio Steele recording nine tackles and Brit Miller collecting eight.

“I think we’ve got some of the best linebackers in the Big Ten, between me, Brit Miller, Antonio Steele,” Leman said. “I think we could have some of the best linebackers in the country next season.”

With Purdue and Northwestern still on Illinois’ schedule, Leman already has the most tackles for the year since Matt Sinclair recorded 129 in 2003. If Leman keeps up his season average 11.7 tackles per game, he’ll pass Sinclair. But if he gets just three tackles above his average in each game, he’ll break into the top-10 season tackles list, knocking out Dick Butkus.

“I’m like the players, I draw strength from him,” Zook said. “He’s a competitor, a winner, a team guy, and he cares about the football team. I’m just so proud and glad he’s on our team.”

RUGBY PUNT RETURNS

Two freshmen saw special teams action as kicker Mike Cklamovski and punter Jared Bosch both took turns on the field.

Cklamovski, who kicked off against Eastern Illinois in the season opener, had a 57-yard kickoff after Illinois scored a fourth-quarter field goal. Bosch brought back the rugby-style punting Illinois used early in the season, punting four times for an average 38 yards.

“I’ve been ready to play, so it was a great feeling,” Bosch said. “I was a little nervous, but I did end up having a pretty good kick, so I’m happy with that.”

Zook said Bosch was brought in after showing success in practice and because Illinois wanted another option when punting into the wind.

“Bosch did a phenomenal job today,” starting punter Kyle Yelton said. “Playing the way he did in his first game against the number one team in country speaks volumes about what type of kid he is. He came in and hit the ball really well and put the ball where we needed it and made sure to kick it away from their key guys.”

BRASIC BACK

Senior quarterback Tim Brasic saw his first action since September, taking the offensive helm in the third quarter.

Zook said Brasic was brought in when freshman Juice Williams “couldn’t settle down.” The head coach said he was happy with the composure and quickness Brasic showed in helping Illinois’ offense get back on track.

“With Tim you can go a little faster tempo at times, he’s been through it,” Zook said. “Juice likes to process a little more, but Tim was like that last year.”

Brasic completed 6-of-17 pass attempts and rushed just one time for six yards. Brasic is now 19 yards shy of Illinois’ quarterback career-rushing record.

INJURY REPORT

Illinois quarterback Juice Williams left the field in the second half after suffering a blow to his jaw, but returned late in the game. Zook said Williams’ jaw was being X-rayed as a precaution, but that the quarterback was expected to be fine.

QUOTE OF THE GAME:

“He is dangerous. When he’s got the ball in his hands, you hold your breath.”

– Illinois head coach Ron Zook on Ohio State receiver and team touchdown leader Ted Ginn, Jr.