Thomas, Juice, Reda make Illinois proud

Josh Birnbaum The Daily Illini Illinois Isiah Williams is pushed out of bounds at the end zone by Purdues Brandon Erwin during the game at Memorial Stadium in Champaign, Ill., on Saturday, Nov. 11, 2006. Williams foot was in, thereby giving Illinois a touchdown in the first quarter, but Illinois lost, 42-31.

Josh Birnbaum The Daily Illini Illinois’ Isiah Williams is pushed out of bounds at the end zone by Purdue’s Brandon Erwin during the game at Memorial Stadium in Champaign, Ill., on Saturday, Nov. 11, 2006. Williams’ foot was in, thereby giving Illinois a touchdown in the first quarter, but Illinois lost, 42-31.

By Jason Grodsky

Senior running back Pierre Thomas made his final game at Memorial Stadium a memorable one.

For the ninth time in his career, Thomas rushed over 100 yards in a game, finishing with 105 yards on 10 carries and one touchdown. His 105 yards moved him into sole possession of sixth place on Illinois’ career rushing list with 2,495 yards.

The bulk of Thomas’ yards came on two plays. The first was a 62-yard run on the Illini’s first play from scrimmage in the second half, which set up sophomore running back Rashard Mendenhall’s eight-yard touchdown run. The second, a 20-yard run-came on the first play of Illinois’ next possession.

Thomas was rewarded for his efforts in the fourth quarter when he capped off a 10-play, 66-yard drive with a one-yard touchdown run, his team-leading fifth rushing touchdown of the season.

“Getting a touchdown was one of my main goals going into the game,” Thomas said. “I told the guys in the locker room before the game that the most important thing I really wanted was a touchdown on our field for the last time.”

Thomas also became Illinois career leader in kick return yardage with 1,429 yards after return three kicks for 92 yards against the Boilermakers.

Coming into the season Thomas needed just 111 yards to break the record held by Clinton Lynch, but had not seen a lot of action returning kicks until Illini head coach Ron Zook restored his kick return duties this week.

“Kick returning is something I love to do,” Thomas said. “I love being back there and being able to see the whole field. I really appreciate the honor to have this record. I’m going to cherish it.”

Juice running wild

It only took Illini freshman quarterback Juice Williams 11 games to climb to the top of Illinois record books.

With 145 yards rushing on 22 carries against Purdue, Williams set the record for most rushing yards in a season by an Illinois quarterback with 522, breaking senior Tim Brasic’s mark of 420 yards rushing set last season. Williams’ 522 yards rushing this season also set the career rushing record by an Illinois quarterback.

Williams’ 20-yard touchdown run in the first quarter was his first rushing touchdown of his career as an Illini, and his 145 yards on the ground and 22 carries against the Boilermakers are career highs, surpassing his 17-carry, 103-yard rushing performance at Michigan State on Sept. 30.

Williams’ 22 carries were just seven less than his pass attempts on the day, a result of Purdue’s constant pressure on the Illini freshman, according to Zook.

“As Juice learns and gains more experience he’ll mature and sit in there a little bit longer,” Zook said.

Reda moves into sixth-place on career field goal list

For the third time this season Illinois junior place kicker Jason Reda made at least three field goals in game.

Reda’s field goals of 38, 29 and 30 yards against Purdue give him 15 this season, tied for fourth most all-time in a season with former Illini kicker Chris White. His three field goals also give Reda 35 career field goals, moving him into sole possession of sixth-place on Illinois career field goal list, surpassing Arizona Cardinals 2005 NFL Pro Bowl kicker Neil Rackers.

Since his 41-yard field goal miss against Ohio back on Oct. 14, Reda has connected on nine consecutive field goals for the Illini.

“It’s hard to enjoy everything with the loss,” Reda said. “Right now we just have to stay focused and finish out the season the best we can.”