Illini grab season-opening win

Josh Birnbaum

Josh Birnbaum

By Erin Foley

The outcome of Illinois’ season opener against Austin Peay State University on Monday night was decided shortly after the beginning minutes had elapsed. With Brian Randle back in the Illini lineup and sophomore guard Jamar Smith finding his shot early, Illinois quickly jumped out to a 19-4 lead and never looked back. The Illini won its eighth-straight home opener, trouncing Austin Peay 80-35 in front of a crowd of 16,618 at the Assembly Hall.

The Governors’ 35 points were the second-fewest points scored by an Illini opponent, and the fewest points allowed since Bruce Weber took over as head coach of Illinois in 2004.

Illinois shot 53.6 percent from the field on 30-of-56 shooting in the game behind the efforts of Smith and junior forward Shaun Pruitt. Smith scored a game-high 19 points (16 in the first half), including five three-pointers, while Pruitt added 13 points and two rebounds. Trent Meacham added eight points, and Randle, who only played in the first half, scored seven points.

After only scoring six points in last Wednesday’s exhibition win against Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, Smith looked rejuvenated, playing with a competitive edge that was missing from the two preseason contests. But early in the second half, as Smith went for a loose ball, he was caught underneath a Governors’ defender and suffered a high ankle sprain. Smith will undergo X-rays today, and Weber said he anticipates Smith to be “out for a little bit.”

Weber hopes it won’t be too long since Smith was starting to come around, he said.

“He’s finally settled down,” Weber said of Smith. “He was rushing, trying to do too much, didn’t know if he should shoot or pass or drive, but he was much more under control and in a groove. His shooting numbers show that.”

Illinois, who played its first of a five-game home stand Monday, raced out to a 7-0 lead and saw its lead grow to 44-20 at halftime. During the first half, the Illini limited the Governors to just 32 percent from the field (8-of-25 shooting), along with only 50 percent from the free throw line. Under the pressure, Austin Peay folded.

Freshmen Richard Semrau and Brian Carlwell also saw playing time, putting to rest thoughts of whether one or both of the first-year players would redshirt this season. Carlwell’s dunk in the second half brought the crowd to its feet. In all, Carlwell contributed five points, six rebounds and one blocked shot, while Semrau added three points and five rebounds. On Sunday night, Carlwell was still deciding whether to redshirt and asked Pruitt for advice. Weber said he hopes Carlwell’s decision is a good one in the long run.

“He asked me what I thought he should do, but I just told him it’s his decision,” Pruitt said. “I think he’s a good player; I think he can help us a lot, even this year because in the Big Ten, you’re going to need about four, maybe even five, big men. Anything can happen like Jamar getting hurt, so we could possibly use him.”

Following the Illini’s second exhibition game, Weber zeroed in on limiting turnovers and improving the team’s free-throw shooting. Although the Illini had 18 turnovers, one less than last Wednesday, Weber said the team is crossing the fine line between being aggressive and being smart.

“The same guys that are doing it in practice, did it in the game and sometimes it’s just, ‘Where are you going? There’s five people there, you can’t go.’ Make an easy play, pass it, and cut through,” Weber said. “I don’t want to take out their aggressiveness, and Chester can get to the basket, he’s getting to the free throw line, but at the same time, he’s got to not get himself in a bind and turn the ball over.”

The Illini’s free-throw shooting was still something to be questioned as well. Shooting just 44.4 percent from the free throw line for the game, Illinois made just 12-of-27 shots. While Randle said the Illini are averaging 75 or 80 percent in practice, he did say it is something they need to work on. Weber called the free throw shooting “awful.”

“I don’t know what’s going on,” Randle said. “But hopefully, we can figure it out soon.”