Anderson makes history, wins at Atkins challenger

Billy Heiser and Sasha Kharkevitch look at their opponents, Bjorn Munroe and Chris Klingemann, during the USTA Challenge at Atkins Tennis Center, Sunday. Beck Diefenbach

By Eric Chima

The top Illini past and present advanced early this week at the professional Challenger Series event at Atkins Tennis Center – including a first in the program’s storied history.

Kevin Anderson became the first Illinois men’s tennis player to play his way into the second round of the Atkins Challenger, defeating professional Todd Widom 6-3 and 6-4 Monday night.

Last year, Anderson advanced to the second round when his first-round opponent retired. But until Monday none of the national champions and All-Americans that played at Illinois had ever won a full match.

“It’s just good to get through,” Anderson said. “It was great playing at home (because) I haven’t had a match here for a while, and it was great playing with the whole team watching and the coaches there.”

Anderson was joined in the second round by Amer Delic, the 2003 NCAA singles champion while with the Illini.

Now a full-time professional, Delic dispatched veteran pro Cecil Mamit 7-6 (3) and 6-3 in the first round Tuesday.

Delic controlled most of the match with a big serve and a number of huge forehands that kept Mamit lunging.

He lost his serve just once, while serving for the first set at 5-4. But he responded by winning the tiebreaker and breaking Mamit’s serve early in the second set to pull away.

“It’s never easy to get through the first one,” Delic said. “Cecil’s given me trouble before. He’s won a few (Challengers), he’s been ranked in the top 60, and he’s got wins over Agassi and players like that. So he’s never easy.”

Results were mixed among the other Illini.

Another NCAA champion, Rajeev Ram, also won his first round match, defeating American Jeff Salzenstein in straight sets. But his former teammate, Brian Wilson, fell to the second seed, Robert Kendrick.

Ryan Rowe, ranked second highest among current Illini, could not get his rhythm in a lopsided loss to South African Rik De Voest.

In doubles action, the freshmen team of Billy Heiser and Sasha Kharkevitch was spectacular in dominating the first set against Wilson and Brazilian Andre Sa. But the pair broke down and never won another game.

On Monday, junior Brandon Davis and sophomore Marc Spicijaric lost to the Serbian team of Dusan Vemic and Ilia Bozoljac.

Spectators were admitted for free Monday and Tuesday, which tournament director Jim Tressler said resulted in larger crowds than last year. Admission will also be free on Wednesday before normal prices go into effect the rest of the week.