Undefeated Illini to face tough test against Terps

Illinois forward Shaun Pruitt, center, goes for a shot over Bradley defenders, Saturday at the Sears Center in Hoffman Estates, Ill., during the Chicago Invitational Challenge. Illinois faces off against Maryland tonight at 6 p.m. at Assembly Hall. Adam Babcock

By Erin Foley

During the weekend, the Illinois basketball team clawed its way back from double-digit deficits against Miami (Ohio) and Bradley, taking the Chicago Invitational Challenge tournament title by a combined six points. Although the Braves, who made it to the Sweet 16 of last year’s NCAA tournament, hung around for the first half, they fell victim to Illinois’ defensive energy. The Illini, though, must not follow in Bradley’s footsteps.

The stakes continue to increase for the Illini, who will play the part of the pesky underdog when they host No. 22 Maryland – a team known for throwing a number of presses at opponents – tonight at 6 p.m. at the Assembly Hall.

Although the Illini have seven wins under their belts, coach Bruce Weber is quick to point out that Illinois hasn’t proved much early on. Weber is pleased, however, with the way the Illini gutted out the two tournament wins.

“There is some toughness there,” said Weber of the Illini. “They fought back from double-digit leads; I’m positive about that.”

Maryland has opened its season 7-0 for the first time since the 1998-99 season, when it started 10-0. While Illinois has become accustomed to starting games slow, Maryland has only trailed opponents for a total of 2 minutes 12 seconds this season. Already boasting 51 blocks and 60 steals, Weber hopes the Illini can turn those numbers into positives. In the Terrapins, the Illini will face a team that has already sacrificed 63 steals to their opponents this season.

“If you look at steals, opponents have more steals than they do,” said Weber of a Maryland defense that often waits for opponents to make mistakes. “You wouldn’t think it would be that way, but when they get a steal it’s a dead lay-up.

“It will be interesting to see how we go from press offense into our offense and see if we can take advantage there.”

Senior guard D.J. Strawberry, averaging a team-high 16.0 points per game, will lead the Terrapins’ balanced scoring attack. Three other Maryland players are averaging double figures in scoring.

“He’s worked on his shot quite a bit,” said Weber of Strawberry. “Now that they’re letting him roam, he can use his athleticism instead of running the show. But he does a good job creating.”

As much as the game figures to be exciting for Maryland, the Illini have been looking forward to this week – which also includes a match-up with No. 16 Arizona on Saturday – since the schedule was released.

“This is an exciting week; I’ve tried not to look past it, but you get to play a Top 25 team, it’s always exciting,” said Shaun Pruitt after Saturday’s Bradley contest. “It’s going to be cracking, as we like to say. It’s going to be a lot of excitement at Assembly Hall, so I’m definitely looking forward to it.”

The Illini are aware that the ACC has dominated the Big Ten in every year of the Challenge, and sophomore guard Chester Frazier, a Baltimore, Md., native, will have no trouble getting ready for the Top 25 opponent.

“Obviously, it means a lot to me,” said Frazier, who Weber recruited from Notre Dame Prep after originally going to Baltimore to scout another prep school player. “It means a little more to me because I am from Maryland, (but) I just want to come out and win every game, but Maryland especially.”

With the game meaning more to Frazier, Weber just hopes he “doesn’t go crazy.” Weber understands that for Frazier, who grew up watching Maryland basketball, pride of wanting to show people back home “what you’re about” will be on the line.

INJURY REPORT

Sophomore guard Jamar Smith will play in tonight’s game, but Weber said he will have to be careful for the next three weeks due to the stiffness and lack of strength in his left ankle. … Brian Randle has started to begin his recovery process after having groin surgery in Philadelphia on Nov. 17. During the Chicago Invitational Challenge, Randle worked out in the pool and will begin walking exercises in the coming days. … After suffering a mild ankle sprain during the tournament, Frazier sat out much of Illinois’ practice Sunday.