Women improve record despite restless break

By Dave Fultz and Steve Contorno

The Illini women’s basketball team improved its overall record to 5-1 with a 69-56 win over Saint Joseph’s University on Saturday. That game ended a busy week for the Orange and Blue; the Illini played four games in an eight-day span and even managed to fit Thanksgiving dinner into their plans.

“Break was good,” sophomore forward Chelsea Gordon said. “We got to play some games and feel each other out on the court. It was definitely a learning experience because it is still pretty early on in the season.”

Their first test was on Nov. 18 when the Loyola University Ramblers came to the Assembly Hall in search of a victory, but the Illini offense came out strong from the start. Five players scored in double figures in the 87-59 blowout. Senior forward Erin Wigley and sophomore guard Lori Bjork each had 15 points to lead the team in scoring.

“You just have to take what the defense gives you,” Bjork said, “I had some openings and I just made my shots.”

Defensively, Illinois adjusted well to everything the Ramblers threw at them and forced 20 turnovers that resulted in 24 points. The Illini held their opponent to 33 percent shooting from the field and stifled them from behind the arc as Loyola shot only 27 percent from three-point land.

Next, the team traveled to DeKalb to take on the Huskies of Northern Illinois University on Nov. 20. The Illini were handed their first loss by a score of 69-63. Gordon scored a career-high 16 points and junior forward Danyel Crutcher notched a double-double, but the Orange and Blue still lost to NIU for the first time in 16 years.

“The one loss we had this week was disappointing,” Bjork said, “but I thought that we really bounced back well and came out with a lot of energy the next game.”

“It was a tough game,” freshman forward/center Jenna Smith said, “Anybody could have taken the win that night. It was a tough loss and we kind of took it out on Northern Colorado a couple of nights later.”

The Illini wrapped up their week by beating Northern Colorado University on Wednesday, celebrating Thanksgiving on Thursday, and beating Saint Joseph’s on Saturday to improve to 5-1.

“I thought there were some bright spots this week,” said head coach Theresa Grentz on Monday. “We had to meet some adversity at times but I thought we played well and this team will get better. Each month, we will get better.”

Wednesday, the Illini will travel to St. Louis to face St. Louis University (5-2) looking to tally their sixth win of the season. Last year, Illinois defeated the Billikens 75-40 at the United Center as part of the Lexus December to Remember Classic. Sophomore center Erin McCarthy scored a season-high 12 points in the game.

It will be Illinois’ second game against the Atlantic 10 Conference after beating St. Joseph’s.

St. Louis is coming into the game having lost their last two games in the Basketball Travelers Husky Classic after starting the season 5-0. The Illini will look to stop senior Tyler McIlwraith, a preseason All-A-10 Conference selection. McIlwraith scored 23 points against Miami (Ohio) in their most recent game and was named to the All-Tournament team.

Illinois has outscored opponents 413-318 in games so far this season and leads the all-time series with the Billikens by a margin of 3-1.