Women gear up for tough weekend

Freshman forward Lacey Simpson takes a free throw during the first half against Butler University at Assembly Hall, Sunday, November 12. John Paul Goguen The Daily Illini

By Dave Fultz

The Illini women’s basketball team wrapped up its sixth victory of the season, their second on the road, on Tuesday in Saint Louis.

“When you come into someone else’s gym,” said head coach Theresa Grentz, “you know you are going to get their best shot.”

“We’ve responded well this year and hopefully we’ll continue to do that,” she added.

The Illini looked impressive as they improved their record to 6-1 and hope to keep the momentum rolling into another tough road match-up as they square off against the University of Mississippi on Saturday.

Ole Miss comes into Saturday’s game with an overall record of 5-2 and has yet to suffer a loss at home as they are 3-0 on their own court.

The Rebels’ two losses have come against tough teams and both came on the road. Their most recent defeat came at the hands of the No. 1 team in the country, the Maryland Terrapins.

The team also features a superstar in guard Armintie Price. Last year, Price was Ole Miss’ leader in scoring (17.7), rebounding (9.6), steals (3.4) and assists (3.5).

Price picked up right where she left off last year and is the Rebels’ team leader in points, assists and steals so far this season.

She was named to the Preseason All-America team and also was a Preseason All-SEC selection by the Basketball Times.

The Illini managed to contain Saint Louis’ star guard on Tuesday night and hope for more of the same consistent performance they have received so far out of their defense this season.

“We have had to meet some adversity at times,” Grentz said.

“But I thought we have played well and this team will get better. Each game, we will get better,” she added.