Illini big men net first conference win

Illini big men net first conference win

By Erin Foley

After losses to Michigan and Ohio State, it was clear the Illinois basketball team was lacking a leader. But after a “tough 10 days” and periods of reflection, Weber got what he was looking for as a trio of Illini each scored 16 points in Illinois’ 74-70 win over Iowa on Wednesday night at the Assembly Hall. The victory marked Illinois’ first Big Ten win of the season.

“It was a family effort,” Randle said. “Everybody, including myself, has been doing a lot of reflection, and I think tonight showed the team that we can be. I know we make people worry a lot, and we have some things to work on still, but it’s a step in the right direction.”

The Illini (13-5, 1-2)-playing without sophomore guard Chester Frazier (groin injury)-shot 50.9 percent from the field (28-of-55 shooting), but the story of the game revolved around the big men. The frontcourt of Carter, Randle and Pruitt combined to score 48 points – 65 percent of the Illini scoring total. The trio highlighted their performances by six dunks that brought the sell-out crowd to their feet.

In a return to old form, Randle regained a sense of confidence on his way to a career high-tying 16 points. Coming into the game against Iowa, Randle was averaging 7.5 points per game and 4.1 rebounds per game, but more importantly, the Illini’s most athletic player seemed to have lost his confidence and at times, found it hard to get in sync with the team’s motion offense.

“The past three games, I don’t make any excuses for myself, injuries or otherwise and just wasn’t performing,” Randle said. “Tonight, I just looked for guys to give me energy and they did.”

The fact that Randle had family in the crowd didn’t hinder his performance, either.

“To see them in the crowd, honestly it lit something under me and it made me feel good,” he said. “I looked in the crowd and saw my aunt, she winked at me, and that’s all I needed.”

With 13:43 to play in the game, Illinois trailed Iowa (9-7, 1-1) 45-39 after a Tyler Smith jumper. But hoping to avenge its first two Big Ten losses, Illinois went on a 24-5 run over the next 7:39. A Carter dunk gave the Illini a 63-50 lead with 6:04 remaining. The Hawkeyes cut the lead to one point on an Adam Huluska (25 points) three-pointer, but Trent Meacham, who got his first Big Ten start, made a pair of free throws down the stretch.

“It was a nice team win,” Weber said. “I wish it wouldn’t have been so close at the end, but we just gave up too many fouls.”

Rich McBride, who started in place of Jamar Smith, added 15 points and three rebounds, while Brian Carlwell had four points.

Weber was more pleased to see Illinois’ 33-28 rebounding advantage and Iowa’s 16 turnovers.

“We had a little advantage inside when we could get the ball to Shaun (Pruitt),” Weber said. “I don’t think they had anyone who could stop him.”

The Illini will look to carry their momentum into Sunday’s contest with Michigan State in East Lansing against a team that won 66-45 against Northwestern on Wednesday.

“We had some growing up to do, and I think they realized what it’s going to take,” Weber said. “Now, can they match that and do that all the time, that intensity?”

1. Rich McBride, 33, makes a three-point shot at Assembly Hall on Wednesday, Jan. 10, 2007. Illinois won 74-70.

2. Illinois’ Brian Randle, right, dunks over Iowa’s Cyrus Tate during the game at Assembly Hall, Wednesday, January 10, 2006. Randle shot 7-9 with 16 points and took six rebounds. Illinois beat Iowa, 74-70.

3. Warren Carter, 41, loses a shot against Iowa at the Assembly Hall on Wednesday, Jan. 10, 2007. Carter scored 16 points in the Illini win of 74-70.

4. Shaun Pruitt, 55, drives the lane at Assembly Hall on Wednesday, Jan. 10, 2007. Illinois won against Iowa 74-70.

5. Illinois coaches Bruce Weber, right, and Jay Price coordinate players on the court during the game against Iowa at Assembly Hall, Wednesday, January 10, 2006. Illinois beat Iowa, 74-70.

6. Illinois’ Shauit Pruitt, top left, and Brian Randle, top right, trap Iowa’s Justin Johnson during the game against Iowa at Assembly Hall, Wednesday, January 10, 2006. Illinois beat Iowa, 74-70.

7. Officials discuss a call with Iowa head coach Steve Alford as Bruce Weber walks away during the game at Assembly Hall, January 10, 2006. Illinois beat Iowa, 74-70.

8. Illinois head coach Bruce Weber speaks with forward Brian Randle during the game against Iowa at Assembly Hall, January 10, 2006.

9. Illinois’ Warren Carter goes for a layup in the second half during the game against Iowa at Assembly Hall, Wednesday, January 10, 2006. Carter scored 16 points and had four rebounds. Illinois beat Iowa, 74-70.