Lack of passion leaves Illini with backs against the wall

Shaun Pruitt, 55, and Brian Randle, 42, rebound the ball in the game against Michigan at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, Michigan, on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2007. Illinois lost 71-61. Aaron Facemire, The Daily Illini

By Erin Foley

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – Plagued by injuries, a suspension and lack of experience, Illinois and Bruce Weber have tried not to make excuses for some of their early season losses. The Illini have faced limited practice time and many of their players are still not at 100 percent, but in the eyes of Weber, those factors are uncontrollable. Playing the game with passion is something the Illini can control, and Weber didn’t see any from Illinois as it fell to Michigan 71-61 in both teams’ Big Ten-opener Wednesday night.

“I don’t understand why we don’t play with a passion,” Weber said. “We take the lead 41-40 (early in the second half), and I have to yell about defensively having energy and that baffles me.”

With 15:03 to play in the second half, the Illini (12-4, 0-1) took the 41-40 lead off a Chester Frazier (11 points) three-pointer. It seemed as if Illinois was in position to make a run, but the Illini went cold from the field. The Wolverines (13-3, 1-0) reeled off 13 unanswered points before a pair of Jamar Smith free throws ended the drought with 9:27 to play. Illinois found itself down 53-43 and was never able to cut the lead to less than four points.

Following the game, Weber couldn’t blame the loss on Illinois’ 37.7 percent (20-of-53) shooting from the field; he instead pointed to poor defense and the Wolverine’s 37-26 rebounding advantage.

“We just don’t guard; they were shooting 70 percent late in the second half, (and) 59 (percent) for the half,” Weber said. “They drive in the corner and get dunks and no one is there; no one helps.

“This was disappointing.”

Sophomore guard Smith returned to the starting lineup and led the Illini with 17 points (6-of-14 shooting), to go along with four rebounds and two assists; Warren Carter added 14 points (5-of-11 shooting), eight rebounds and three assists. Dion Harris (22 points) and Lester Abram (25 points) led the way for the Wolverines.

Although the Illini received production from a few players, it was easy for Weber to call out those who needs to contribute more. Among those players: Rich McBride and Shaun Pruitt. McBride, a senior, was limited to three points and passed on a number of open shots, uncharacteristic of a veteran player.

“Rich has to play better; he’s a better player than that,” Weber said. “Even if he starts or doesn’t start or whatever, he’s a senior. He’s played better; I’ve seen him, you’ve seen him.”

Added Weber of Pruitt: “I think he wears down a little bit. He’s two for nine in the paint; you have to play a little better than that if were going to win.”

As Illinois concludes its biggest three-game stand of the season on Saturday against No.6 Ohio State, he can only think about the Illini’s failed attempts against Xavier on Dec. 29 and against Michigan.

“We failed two of the tests and we’ve got to see if we can come together in the next two days and find a way to get some energy at home.”

With no easy solution in sight and the best players refusing to take leadership roles, the Illini are in the midst of their toughest stretch since Weber became coach in 2003. The Illini have not lost three games in a row since Feb. 3, 2002, when they were defeated at Indiana, at Ohio State and at home against Michigan State when Bill Self was coach.

“I hope (their backs are up against the wall) hard; I hope they’re scared, because I know I am,” Weber said. “But you can’t be scared and play up-tight, you have to play with enthusiasm.”

—————————

All photos credit: Aaron Facemire, The Daily Illini

1. Bruce Webber yells at Illinois at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, MI, on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2007. Illinois had a tough time in the game, losing 71-61.

2. Jamar Smith, 31, puts up a shot in the game against the University of Michigan at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2007. Smith had a team high of 17 points, but the Illini lost in the end 71-61.

3. Brian Randle, 42, bowls over a Michigan player in the game at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, Michigan, on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2007. Illinois lost to Michigan 71-61.

4. Shaun Pruitt, 55, dunks against Michigan at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, Michigan, on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2007.

5. Shaun Pruitt, 55, and Brian Randle, 42, rebound the ball in the game against Michigan at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, Michigan, on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2007. Illinois lost 71-61.

6. Rich McBride, 33, attempts a 3-point shot at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, Michigan, on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2007. Michigan beat Illinois 71-61.

7. Chester Frazier, 3, shoots against Michigan at the Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2007.

8. Chester Frazier, 3, drives the lane against Michigan on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2007, at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Illinois lost 71-61.

9. Warren Carter, 41, watches his shot at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, Michigan, on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2007. Carter made 8 rebounds against Michigan with Illinois losing 71-61.

10. Calvin Brock, 25, watches a pass made by opposing Michigan players at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, Michigan, on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2007. Michigan won 71-61.