Yearly ‘Braggin’ Rights’ go to Illini

Yearly Braggin Rights go to Illini

By Erin Foley

ST. LOUIS – In preparation for Illinois’ Tuesday night match-up with Missouri, Jamar Smith said the Illini spent nearly two weeks trying to break down the Tigers’ up-tempo, full-court press. Those long practice hours didn’t go to waste, though, as Illinois took a 73-70 decision in front of a crowd of 22,153 at the Scottrade Center in the annual Busch Braggin’ Rights game. The Illini (11-2) now lead the all-time series 25-12, and Tuesday’s victory marks their seventh win in a row over the Tigers (9-2).

But for an Illinois team that in recent weeks had lost close contests to Maryland and Arizona, both Top 25 opponents, the win against Missouri offered validation.

“We found a way to gut out a win,” said coach Bruce Weber, who earned his 100th coaching win at Illinois in 118 games against Missouri. “We had chances in Maryland and Arizona and we didn’t do it; this time we did it. (It) was a great atmosphere, and this is what the game is about.”

The Illini held a small lead for much of the first half, but the Illini found themselves down 36-30 with 4:04 to play after a Stefhon Hannah three-pointer. Illinois trailed 38-35 at half time, and were down by as many as five points before taking the lead for good with 10:06 to play. A Smith three-pointer with 5:04 remaining increased the margin to 65-59, and the Illini were able to hang on down the stretch.

“I thought we had it a couple times and then we missed free throws; they come down and make a big play, and it seems like we found a way and then something would happen,” said Weber of the back-and-forth battle. “It was a good experience for our kids.”

Junior center Shaun Pruitt led the Illini with 19 points (8-of-11 shooting) and nine rebounds in 33 minutes. With Missouri’s intense full-court pressure, Weber knew the Illini’s front-court players, especially Pruitt, would see a number of opportunities.

“We knew if we could break the press and get into our half-court offense, he could score,” Weber said. “That’s not their strength, they also get all strung-out defensively.”

Smith, in a reserve role, added 17 points on 5-of-14 shooting, while senior Warren Carter and junior Brian Randle scored in double figures with 12 and 10 points, respectively. Missouri guard Hannah scored 23 points and was the only Tigers’ player to score in double figures.

Tigers’ first year coach Mike Anderson previously spent four seasons as the head coach at the University of Arkansas, a program notably known for its run and execute offense. And in only 11 games with Missouri, Anderson has re-energized a team that was part of a rebuilding campaign in 2005-06. But with as much as Weber preached about the Tigers’ defense, the Illini players knew they would be in for a battle.

“We knew that this game would be a challenge for us, and that they basically want to put you through 40 minutes of hell with all the pressure,” Pruitt said. “We just wanted to keep our poise and be confident with the press, and it worked out in our favor.”

As effective as the Tigers were with the full-court press, the Illini took them out of their half-court set and away from their strengths. With only Thursday’s game against Idaho State to play before the Christmas break, the Illini are thankful for some of their early presents: a win in one of the nation’s best rivalries and the return of key players from injuries.

“We’re getting all the pieces back to the puzzle and we’re starting to figure out where they fit,” Randle said. “Tonight shows that this team has heart and this team has courage. Now we get people healthy, and we get everything rolling, and we’ll be right where we should be.”