Men’s basketball looks to improve Big Ten record on road

By Erin Foley

In 2000, the last time the Illini started the Big Ten season 1-3, they followed those defeats with two straight victories. The only difference from that season, though, is that Illinois returned to the comforts of Assembly Hall for the first win. This time, the Illini will look to return to their winning ways on the road when they face Minnesota tonight at 6 on ESPN2.

The game in Minneapolis comes just three days after Illinois gave up a 14-point lead to Michigan State in a 63-57 loss in East Lansing, Mich. The Golden Gophers are coming off a 60-49 road loss to Iowa on Sunday.

“We have to hang together,” head coach Bruce Weber said. “We’re in a difficult spot, and we have a game on the road again. We don’t have the crowd to get us back, so we have to see what we’re about.”

The Illini (13-6, 1-3) hold a 15-game winning streak over the Gophers – the longest by any Big Ten school over a conference opponent. And although Illinois has won its last six games against Minnesota (7-10, 1-2) at Williams Arena, it must put together two full halves of basketball to keep that mark alive.

“We just have to stay consistent for 40 minutes,” said senior Rich McBride, who added 12 points on four three-pointers in Sunday’s defeat. “Like Coach (Weber) has been saying, we come out in the first half ready and play hard, and second half we just come out flat, and the other team’s on fire, and that’s where we lose the game.”

After only committing seven turnovers in the first half against Michigan State, the Illini had 12 in the second half. But Weber also pointed to defensive breakdowns, lack of hustle and the failure to create shots (6-of-20 second-half field-goal shooting) for Illinois’ sixth loss of the season.

It was a pattern identical to that suffered against Xavier, Michigan and Maryland, Weber said.

“It’s the same old story. You could keep writing the same story,” he said. “Leads in the second half, can’t finish the game.”

Sophomore guard Chester Frazier is expected to return to the starting lineup, and the Illini hope to see shooting improvement from sophomore Jamar Smith, who is averaging 11.2 points per game and 2.2 assists per game. The Peoria native scored four points in 16 minutes Sunday, and Weber said that there are a couple reasons for Smith’s shooting slump.

“I think there’s no doubt it’s confidence,” Weber said. “It’s also ankles. It’s a combination of everything.”

Although Smith has been spending time on his shot, Weber feels it has also been taking away from his efforts on the other end of the court.

“Now, instead of just shooting the ball, he’s thinking,” Weber said. “He’s not even paying attention to the defense. He’s just trying to think about his shot more than anything.”