Illini look to avenge early season loss

Shaun Pruitt goes in for a lay up against Delco Rowley of Michigan State in East Lansing on Saturday. Pruitt had 12 points and Illinois won 75-68 to finish the regular season 25-5 (11-5). ME Online

By Erin Foley

Just over two weeks ago in East Lansing, Mich., the Spartans rallied from an 11-point halftime deficit to defeat the Illini, 63-57. Since Jan. 14, Illinois and Michigan State, two programs that appeared in the 2005 Final Four, have had mixed success.

The Illini (15-8, 3-5), who will once again be without Brian Randle, who is out with plantar fasciitis, and are limited because of lingering injuries to Jamar Smith and Chester Frazier, have averaged 45 points in their last two contests. The Spartans (17-5, 4-3) on the other hand, are coming off a 66-64 road loss to No. 5 Ohio State, in which they nearly eclipsed a 20-point halftime deficit.

And just as Drew Neitzel scored the bulk of his points in the second half against Illinois, he exploded for 24 of his 29 points in the final 20 minutes of the Spartans’ loss.

“He just went crazy against Ohio State, that kind of team works as he goes, so we have to be able to control him and contain him,” senior Warren Carter said.

Preventing the Spartans, and especially Neitzel, from heating up in the second half will be essential for Illinois when it hosts Michigan State tonight at 8 (ESPN.) In Michigan State’s last two road games, Neitzel has averaged 28.5 points.

“Not to put anything down on Michigan State, but I feel like Neitzel has had the hot hand for that team,” Carter said. “He’s just been playing great, so our focus definitely has to be a defensive focus.”

The Illini will also be focused on avenging their early season loss to the Spartans. Junior center Shaun Pruitt looks to the game as a great opportunity for a team that is hoping to get to 21 wins, a goal head coach Bruce Weber set on Sunday.

“We hate losing singles, so we are definitely looking forward to getting back out there and playing a lot tougher in the second half – that’s the biggest thing,” said Pruitt, who said his sprained knee is feeling better after receiving rest over the weekend. “The loss (to Michigan State) feels bad, but the thing that feels real bad is we didn’t play as hard as we should have played in the second half versus them.”

With Smith in a shooting slump, and as Weber describes “mentally whipped,” Weber is hopeful senior Rich McBride could pick up some of the slack. He doesn’t, though, want to see Illinois take quick shots after just one or two passes, which has been standard of late. Weber points to patience and set screens as the keys.

“It would be nice if we could get some guys to get (Rich) open, so he could get on a run like (David) Teague got on a run (with five three-pointers),” Weber said.

“Our focus is getting it inside because no one else can score,” Weber added.

While Weber knows the Spartans match-up won’t be easy, Carter said it is possible for Illinois to win its final eight Big Ten games, but only if its focus centers on Illinois working the ball “inside-out” as opposed to “outside-in.”

“We just have to play more as a team and let the game come to each other and realize that some nights it might not be your night,” Carter said. “Some nights it might have to be someone else’s night.”