Fan support helps Illinois beat Northwestern

By Erin Foley

EVANSTON, Ill. – Rich McBride is starting to find a shooting rhythm – and it couldn’t be happening at a better time.

Gone are the memories of his early season suspension and his inability to fit into the system.

“Everything is behind me right now, I’m just trying to go out and help this team win,” McBride said.

In Illinois’ 58-43 win against Northwestern on Wednesday night, McBride added 15 points on 5-of-11 shooting from three-point range, to go along with six assists.

In his last eight games, McBride has averaged 12.5 points per game after combining for just seven points in the previous three contests.

McBride’s improved play has Weber taking notice.

“Rich has been very, very consistent at both ends,” Weber said. “He has six assists, no turnovers and (hits) a key three to solidify the game down the stretch.

“He is running the point, and playing like a senior should; he wants to win.”

Battle of the boards

With Northwestern picking up just five second-half rebounds, the Illini easily won the battle of the boards, 40-16.

Junior center Shaun Pruitt had a game-high 15 rebounds to go along with 13 points.

The Illini’s defensive advantage was one aspect head coach Bruce Weber emphasized in the scouting report leading up to the game.

“One thing we told our kids is that they’re not a great rebounding team and that they really don’t go to the glass,” Weber said. “Every time we get a rebound, get an extra possession, they have to guard longer than they want to.”

The Illini’s ability to get to the glass was impressive considering that they had to change their defensive scheme in preparation for Northwestern.

Last season when Illinois traveled to Northwestern, senior Warren Carter picked up 11 rebounds; this time around, he grabbed eight.

Although the numbers were better last year, Weber sees Northwestern as a perfect opponent for Carter.

“He has better games when teams aren’t as physical and he can use his athleticism and height,” Weber said. “He went inside to get some nice lay ups and had a nice mixture game, and didn’t really force too much.”

Foul trouble

Junior forward Brian Randle picked up his fourth foul of the game with 16:48 to play, a practice that has plagued him nearly all season.

But with a vital game coming up against Indiana on Saturday in Bloomington, Ind., Weber is hopeful Randle can spend more time on the court than on the bench.

“He has had some bad luck, but he has to keep his head up,” Weber said.

“The problem is, that two or three of the (fouls) are off the ball, and he has a tendency to overreact,” he added.

Fan support

With Illinois riding a two-game winning streak, Bruce Weber called Wednesday’s match-up with Northwestern the “biggest game of the year.”

Not only was Illinois able to play with its full complement of players and easily pick apart the Wildcats’ zone defense, but it also received one added bonus.

The upper and lower levels of Welsh-Ryan Arena were colored in orange, and when the Illini went on a key run to open the second half, chants of “ILL-INI” echoed throughout the arena.