Illini edged out in Indiana

By Erin Foley

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Leading Indiana 61-58 with 3:37 remaining, it looked as if Illinois was poised to pick up a “signature win.” But a missed Rich McBride three-pointer and a five-second call against Shaun Pruitt coming out of a timeout, caused the Illini (18-9, 6-6) to collapse down the stretch. The Hoosiers picked up a 65-61 win Saturday afternoon, and continue to remain undefeated at Assembly Hall.

Seniors Warren Carter and Rich McBride led the Illini with 14 and 13 points, respectively, while senior Marcus Arnold played the best game of his Illinois career, contributing 12 points in 15 minutes.

“They were a little more aggressive here than at our place, but we had a chance against a top-20 team on their home court,” head coach Bruce Weber said.

The Illini led 33-31 at halftime after freshman Brian Carlwell beat the buzzer with a dunk. Illinois, though, shot just 34.8 percent (8-of-23) from the field in the final 20 minutes.

“I think we have a lot more plays we can analyze than they can,” said Weber, referring to the Illini’s lead with just three minutes remaining.