Illini hope for win in rematch against Indiana

By Erin Foley

Prior to the start of the 2006-07 basketball season, Bruce Weber questioned whether Warren Carter could play with a sense of urgency, whether “game-in and game-out” the senior could get the Illini shots and rebounds against top competition.

With Carter possessing the “ability and athleticism” to succeed, Weber didn’t want to see him “chill through life.”

And with a six-game suspension for senior Rich McBride complicating the Illini’s early-season hopes, a recipe for success was doubtful. Add with that the Illini’s numerous injuries, and their road to a 6-5 record in Big Ten play has been anything but easy.

Now, as Illinois (18-8) rides a three-game winning streak into Saturday’s match-up with Indiana in Bloomington (12 p.m, CBS), its seniors appear ready to take over the leadership role that was predetermined from the start.

Following the Illini’s 58-43 win against the Northwestern Wildcats on Wednesday night, Weber said it would take a special game from one player in order for Illinois to get a win over Indiana (16-6, 6-3), who sits in second place in the Big Ten standings.

“I think I am going to be that guy, matter of fact,” said McBride, who scored 15 points (5 of 11 three pointers) against the Wildcats. “I’m just trying to do a great job. Warren and I are leading this team. We are the two seniors.

“We only have eight games left, and I think it has to be me and Warren to bring everybody over the hump.”

Against Northwestern, it was McBride and Carter who fueled the Illini’s early second-half spurt that helped put the game away.

Each hit critical three-point baskets, while McBride had a pair of assists, and Carter converted on a jumper to put the Illini up 45-28 with 10:38 to play. McBride is averaging 11.1 points per game, and his current stats are far from those he was putting up shortly after his suspension ended.

“When you go back to Rich when he was suspended, when you don’t play like that and you’re trying to get back in games and everyone else has played all these games, it’s tough to do,” Weber said. “You can watch anybody; NBA guys take a while to come back and get a feel of it.”

McBride’s current mind set is focused on helping Illinois win games, along with trying to secure an NCAA tournament berth.

While Carter said he is going to go to Indiana with an aggressive game plan, he was glad to see McBride accept Weber’s challenge of being the “special” player this weekend.

“He understood he made a mistake, and he’s trying to put it in the back of his mind,” Carter said of McBride’s DUI arrest in November. “It’s his senior year, and he wants to go out with a bang, and he’s been playing great for us, he’s been playing unbelievable for us.”

As well as Illinois has been playing as of late, Weber points to a continued focus of scoring points early in the game and limiting opponent runs, especially on the road.

A strong defensive effort, similar to the 40-16 rebounding advantage Illinois held over Northwestern, will be key, Weber said.

The Hoosiers have not played since Feb. 3: an 81-75 loss to Iowa in Iowa City.

The Illini will be playing against an opponent on a week of rest for the third time this season.

“Obviously, if we go to Indiana and find a way to win, it’s a signature win,” Weber said.