Carlwell expected to be released from Carle hospital today

By Erin Foley

Brian Carlwell, a freshman center on the Illinois basketball team, is expected to be released from Carle Hospital in Urbana today, Assistant Athletics Director Kent Brown confirmed.

Carlwell was admitted to the hospital in critical condition after a car accident late Monday night with teammate and sophomore guard Jamar Smith. He has since been upgraded to fair condition.

“The hope is that he gets out (today); he’s sitting up and alert,” Brown said. “We are even hoping that he can sit on the bench for Sunday’s game.”

Among Carlwell’s visitors Thursday was Smith, who returned from his trip to his Peoria home to be with his family Wednesday after being released from the hospital Tuesday to be with his teammate.

The News-Gazette reported Wednesday that Smith’s family has hired Champaign defense attorney Mark Lipton to represent the sophomore guard. Lipton also represents Illini guard Richard McBride, who enlisted the attorney’s services after he was arrested for driving under the influence on Sept. 29.

Smith’s status for the Illini’s game against Northwestern on Sunday is still questionable, Brown said.