Frazier discusses recent win, upcoming Michigan game

By Lucas Deal

Chester Frazier is the starting point guard for the Illinois basketball team. Despite being hampered all season by an assortment of injuries, the Baltimore native has still managed to put up solid numbers, averaging 7.6 points, 4.6 rebounds and 4.7 assists per game. The Daily Illini caught up with Frazier after Sunday’s win against Northwestern.

Daily Illini: How important was Sunday’s win after the drama that filled last week?

Chester Frazier: It was real big. It was good for us to get out there and get on the court and get to thinking about games and maybe help us carry some momentum into our next game.

DI: What did Sunday’s win say about the character of this team?

CF: We practiced some; everybody just had to pull together. Practice got better as the days went along and we were able to put it all together to beat a methodical Northwestern team.

DI: How much has Rich (McBride)’s leadership recently helped this team?

CF: Rich is playing like he should be playing. He’s carrying us and he’s making three-pointers and he’s providing us with a big spark on the perimeter. He’s been a big help for me because he can shoot it from anywhere between half-court and it makes teams pick their poison. They can let me drive or Rich can beat you from deep.

DI: How did you get down the court to break up that deep Northwestern outlet pass on Sunday?

CF: I always crash the offensive boards so we have to have a safety (back). I think Rich was over in the corner so, when I started to go in, they threw it deep and I just tried to catch up.

DI: Is that why your finger is in a splint?

CF: No, I dislocated it (Saturday) in practice and I thought I broke it but I didn’t.

DI: The injuries never end, do they?

CF: Hey man, I’m just happy to be alive.

DI: How big would it be for this team to get 20 wins Wednesday against Michigan?

CF: That would be a big win because Michigan is right in the mix in the middle of the Big Ten as well. We need these wins coming up.

DI: You’ve said the team doesn’t like to talk about the NCAA Tournament, but what do you guys think you need to do to be sure you get in?

CF: I say we need to win all the rest of our games. If we did that, and got to 22, that would be really big. That would help us out a lot leading into Selection Sunday.

DI: What are your thoughts on Wednesday being the last day for the Chief?

CF: I’m for the Chief. He’s our guy and he’s been a part of this tradition for many years. I’m all for him.