Football program hosts Family Fun Fest

By Courtney Linehan

The Illini football program will host its annual Football Family Fun Fest this Saturday at the Irwin Indoor Practice Facility.

Head coach Ron Zook, the coaching staff and Illinois’ football team will meet fans and sign autographs, as well as run drills for area youth. The Fun Fest runs 1-3:30 p.m. and admission is free.

Planned games include field-goal kicking, pass route running, an obstacle course, timed 20-yard dashes as well as a quarterback challenge. Each event will be manned by members of the Illini squad.

While previous Fun Fests have included events inside Memorial Stadium, the ongoing renovation of the stadium means that all activities will take place at Irwin this year. This is the 10th year the Fun Fest has been held.

Free parking is available in the northeast lot of Assembly Hall, at Huff Hall and at the Law School. Activity registration takes place at Irwin’s north entrance.

Spring schedule announced

The spring practice schedule was released on Thursday, including dates and times for the Illini’s off-season workouts.

The Illini begin four weeks of spring practice on March 27, with the annual spring game scheduled for April 27. For the first time in at least four seasons, the Illini will travel during spring workouts, with a scrimmage at St. Rita High School in Chicago scheduled for April 14.

The team had been working on playing in Chicago – one of the team’s most fertile recruiting grounds and home to many Illini alumni – and chose St. Rita for the quality of its facilities and good location.