Frazier leads Illini to victory

By Erin Foley

CHICAGO – At a time when Illinois needed it the most, Chester Frazier regained his shooting touch. After averaging just 3.3 points per game in the Illini’s last six contests, Frazier put the Illini on his back and lifted them to a 66-60 victory over Penn State (11-19, 2-14 Big Ten) in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament at the United Center. His career-high 21 points (7-of-11 shooting) allowed Illinois to overcome Penn State’s late second-half surge.

“Really, he is the heart of this team; sometimes, he puts himself in positions he shouldn’t be in – he falls down, gets up, screams like it doesn’t hurt,” forward Brian Randle said. “He gives us some toughness and as much as people knock him and tell him this and that, he’s going to play each and every game.”

After Illinois (22-10, 10-7 Big Ten) opened the game flat and fell behind 13-2, Frazier said he felt like he was just doing his job in giving Illinois a chance to boost its resume, and contend for an NCAA Tournament berth.

“They tend to shade to Rich (McBride) more,” Frazier said. “Rich is the best shooter from deep, I’m not so good from deep and they took away the flashes, and I made some open shots – not a big deal. I made some open shots.”

For head coach Bruce Weber, Frazier’s hot hand gave the Illini the extra momentum it needed after the team failed to open the game with emotion for the second-straight time. Weber said his pre-game talk focused on “energy, enthusiasm and effort,” along with enjoying the experience of playing in the Big Ten Tournament.

“In warm-ups, they weren’t real hyped; I don’t know if it was the pressure of trying to get another victory,” Weber said. “Once we got through that early stretch, we had a nice run at the start of the second half. We just didn’t play very smart in that 12-to-6 minute mark (of the second half).”

During that period, Illinois’ 41-27 advantage was cut to 44-38 with 7:42 to play, after Mike Walker hit two key three-point baskets. Illinois managed to claw its way back and take a 57-45 lead with 4:16 remaining, but a Jamelle Cornley lay-up cut the lead to 59-57 with just 1:38 to play in the contest.

Senior Warren Carter had 19 points and five rebounds, while Randle added 11 points and four rebounds. Senior Rich McBride, who was just 1-of-9 from the three-point line, contributed 10 assists.

Although McBride didn’t have the hot hand, Weber said he was happy McBride found other ways to get involved – something a senior should be able to do.

The Illini will play third-seeded Indiana at 8:10 p.m on Friday. After splitting the regular season series with Indiana (20-9, 10-6), Weber said he expects the same kind of game this time around.

With the team’s NCAA Tournament hopes possibly relying on the outcome of Friday’s matchup, Weber said he wouldn’t be able to relax unless Illinois advanced to the games on Saturday and Sunday.

“We played dumb that stretch in the second half to let them get back in,” Weber said. “We can’t do that again.”