Illinois gets No. 12 seed in NCAA

By Erin Foley

On Saturday night, Brian Randle had one request for teammate Trent Meacham as they flipped through the channels on TV – no watching SportsCenter.

But there was no avoiding it, he said, as they eagerly awaited the Selection Show. The same went for Sunday morning as he stared at the TV again, but this time, he looked at a blank screen.

“There were a lot of prayers … I just kept looking at Illinois, Illinois in my head,” Randle said.

After all of the sleepless nights, Randle and the rest of the Illini’s prayers were answered when they were awarded a 12 seed in the NCAA Tournament’s West Region. Illinois will face fifth-seeded Virginia Tech, who earned an at-large berth out of the ACC Conference, at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio on Friday. Game time will be decided Monday.

“I thought we were going somewhere far like Washington, but it’s good for us to stay in the region, being close to home,” sophomore guard Chester Frazier said. “Hopefully, our friends and family will come out and support us.”

The Illini (23-11) made the NCAA Tournament for the eighth-straight season, while the Hokies (21-11) haven’t appeared in the Big Dance since 1996, when they fell to eventual national champion Kentucky in the second round of the Midwest Region.

While the Illini thought their 58-54 overtime win against Indiana in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament was enough to get them in, they said playing the waiting game was nerve-wracking.

It was especially so for Weber after he learned Saturday night that ESPN’s Joe Lunardi had taken Illinois off his radar.

“I didn’t sleep very well then, because he had been pretty accurate to this point,” Weber said. “I really kind of went into it not thinking we would get in.”

Illinois didn’t have to wait long to find out its fate – the West bracket was the second to be announced.

For Illinois, it didn’t matter what seed it got, just as long as it got in, Randle said. And when its name appeared on the screen, Randle said the team erupted in hugs, cheers and handshakes.

Senior Warren Carter, who is looking forward to “putting on that Illinois jersey one more time,” called it “probably one of the best feelings I’ve had in a long time.” For Weber, who has been criticized about his recruiting and the support he has given Jamar Smith following his Feb. 12 accident, he could only offer the team one word.

“Coach Weber is a cool guy,” Frazier said. “He just told us congratulations; he didn’t really want to make a big deal out of it. He just said congratulations.”

Said McBride about Weber: “He’s a special coach, not many people could do what he’s done with the things that we’ve had to deal with this season. I tip my hat off to him; I think he’s a great guy and an excellent coach.”

A victory over Virginia Tech would set up a meeting with the with the winner of the Southern Illinois/Holy Cross contest, and a potential Sweet 16 showdown with No. 1 seed Kansas, who is coached by Bill Self, Weber’s predecessor at Illinois. Florida captured the overall No. 1 seed, while North Carolina and Ohio State clinched the other two No. 1 seeds. All four teams won their conference tournaments.

While Illinois doesn’t yet know much about their opponent, they know that the Hokies are athletic, boasting good play from its guards.

Taking pride in preparing for each game, Weber is glad to see Illinois will get to face a team other than one from the Big Ten conference and said that getting to play Friday will benefit the Illini a great deal.

“I’m just elated and really excited for the kids, it’s been such a tough season,” Weber said. “They could of laid down and let people roll over them and they haven’t.

“Now, we have to show it, play with the heart and determination we’ve played (with) over the last three weeks.”

For more Big Ten Tournement coverage:

Oden dominates Big Ten as Illini guards, free throw shooting struggle

Buckeyes outrace Badgers for title win

Column: Uncross your fingers, Illinois: You’re in the bracket

‘Empty possessions’ end Big Ten run