Carter named finalist for Comeback Award

By Erin Foley

One day removed from Illinois’ selection to the NCAA Tournament, senior forward Warren Carter was awarded with an honor of another kind. The Illini’s leading scorer was named one of the finalists for the seventh annual V Foundation Comeback Award, announced Monday by the V Foundation for Cancer Research.

The award, open to men and women collegiate basketball student-athletes in all NCAA divisions, is presented to an “individual or a team who has accomplished a personal triumph in the face of true adversity – be it in health, life or moral dilemma.”

When Carter was a sophomore in high school, his mother was sent to prison and his father moved away. Carter, along with his brothers, Josh and Kevin, lived on their own, having to provide themselves with money, food and shelter. After averaging just 8.8 minutes per game in his first three seasons, Carter has shed his chill attitude and has become one of the Big Ten’s most improved players.

The distinction is awarded in conjunction with ESPN and the recipient will be announced during ESPN’s basketball Final Four/NIT weekend coverage. An eight-person sub-committee of The V Foundation Board of Directors will choose the honoree.

Founded in 1993, the V Foundation for Cancer Research remembers the late Jim Valvano, who was a North Carolina State basketball coach and ESPN commentator. Valvano’s “Don’t Give Up, Don’t Ever Give Up,” motto began the Comeback Award’s legacy.

“Once again I am amazed at the strength and resilience of the student-athletes who are nominated for The V Foundation Comeback Award,” said V Foundation CEO Nick Valvano in a press release. “I would be honored to have my brother’s name be remembered with each and every one of them.”