Golf team places fifth in Florida

By Meghan Montemurro

While most students headed home or went on vacation during spring break, the Illinois women’s golf team traveled to Crystal River, Fla., for the Cincinnati Spring Invitational. The Illini finished in fifth place in the nine team field. Head coach Renee Slone said she was disappointed with the team’s results.

“We had solid practices before the tournament,” Slone said. “For the most part we just weren’t able to put four good rounds together during the two days.”

Slone said the goal was to take first place heading into the tournament. However, lack of consistent play prevented the Illini from finishing on top. Slone said big numbers on holes and poor putting added three or four shots to each player’s score.

Junior Seul Ki Park led Illinois with a second place finish individually. Slone said she was impressed with the performance.

“(Park) played very well,” Slone said. “On the first day, she played solid, and on the second day, she had a great start to the round; all and all, it was a good tournament for her.”

Illinois hopes to continue improving putting and other intangibles over the next week before the team’s only home event of the season, the Illini Spring Classic. Slone said the players will be confident heading in with the experience on the course.

“Hopefully we can use the home course advantage in our favor and come out on top,” Slone said.

The Illini Spring Classic will take place at Stone Creek Golf Club in Urbana on April 6-7. The first round begins at 8 a.m., andon April 7, the action starts at 8:30.