Track team snags several wins

By Stuart Lieberman

The Illinois men’s track and field team wrapped up another successful weekend, qualifying one team member for the NCAA Outdoor Championships and two for the NCAA Regionals.

The team split up last weekend, with a small group traveling to Palo Alto, Calif., to compete in the Stanford Invitational, while the rest of the team participated in the Mike Poehlein Invitational in West Lafayette, Ind.

Assistant coach Wendel McRaven took the small group to Stanford, where junior Trent Hoerr was the highlight of the meet for the Illini. Hoerr ran a time of 28:55 in the 10,000-meter run, which was good enough to qualify him for the NCAA Outdoor Championships in June. His time also placed him in the No. 2 spot on the all-time Illinois Outdoor list.

Meanwhile, head coach Wayne Angel traveled with the rest of the team to Purdue, where he said he was very pleased with the team’s showing.

Freshman Greg Shroka snagged first place in the high jump with a regional-qualifying mark of 6’10.75. Senior Adrian Walker won the 400-meter hurdles with a regional-qualifying time of 52.04. In addition, senior Bryan Pratt took first place in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.42 and in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.46, while senior James Keller won the pole vault with a mark of 16’00.00″.

“I thought the performances were very good despite the windy day,” Angel said. “Individually and collectively as a team we are finally starting to raise the level of our performances.”

Angel said the seniors are continuing to do well, and he has been very pleased with the freshmen so far this year.

“It is very encouraging as we are moving towards the championship season,” he said.

Wednesday, senior Tramell Smith, junior Paul Johnson, sophomore Lesiba Masheto and Walker will travel to Austin, Texas, to compete in the Texas Relays, while the rest of the team will head to Charleston, Ill., on Thursday to compete in the Neil Moore Multis.