White Sox beat Twins

By The Associated Press

CHICAGO – Javier Vazquez allowed one hit in 6 2-3 scoreless innings and four relievers completed the frosty three-hitter Saturday to help the Chicago White Sox beat the Minnesota Twins 3-0.

In winning for the first time since last Aug. 10, Vazquez walked four and struck out five on another January-like day at U.S. Cellular Field.

After Friday night’s game was postponed by cold, game-time temperature Saturday was 31 degrees with a 20-degree wind chill, thanks to winds at 19 mph. Many players and base umpires covered their ears and an announced crowd of 33,278 was bundled up like it was a football game.

Vazquez, who went 0-6 in his final 10 starts last season and then was rewarded this spring with a three-year, $34.5 million contract extension, gave up a leadoff single to Michael Cuddyer in the second inning. It was Minnesota’s only hit until Luis Castillo beat out an infield single with two outs in the eighth. Cuddyer added a double in the ninth.

After Cuddyer’s single in the second, the Twins loaded the bases on two walks. But Vazquez escaped when Cuddyer apparently forgot how many outs there were, broke off third on Jason Tyner’s one-out pop to short and was easily doubled off.

Vazquez (1-0) hit Cuddyer with a pitch to open the seventh and after walking Justin Morneau got Torii Hunter to hit into a double play. But manager Ozzie Guillen then went to the bullpen, bringing in Andrew Sisco, who struck out pinch-hitter Jeff Cirillo.

Bobby Jenks pitched the ninth for his first save of the season in as many attempts.

Twins starter Carlos Silva (0-1) allowed five hits and one run in five innings, that coming in the first after Darin Erstad singled to end an 11-pitch at-bat, Jim Thome walked and Paul Konerko hit an RBI single.

The White Sox added two runs in the bottom of the eighth off Dennys Reyes. Juan Uribe led off with his first homer. Scott Podsednik bunted for a single, moved up on a sacrifice and scored when Reyes threw wildly to second on pickoff attempt.