McBride, Carter named co-MVPs

By Erin Foley

After all of their ups and downs, the Illini were able to savor some of the success they had during the season on Tuesday night at the 85th annual men’s basketball banquet.

The event, sponsored by the Champaign-Urbana Kiwanis Club, celebrated the Illini’s eighth straight 20-win season (23-11) and its eighth straight NCAA Tournament appearance.

But with the way the 2006-07 campaign opened, coupled with the injuries and suspensions, the banquet took on special meaning.

“There was a point and time people probably didn’t think we would make it to a banquet,” said junior Shaun Pruitt, who won the Most Improved Player Award, as voted on by the coaches, and the Rebounder’s Award for leading the team in boards. “I don’t know what we would say at a banquet like this (in the beginning of the season). Twenty-three wins is not as bad as people think it is; we’re just proud of that.”

Seniors Rich McBride and Warren Carter were named co-MVPs. Carter, who also received the Ralf Woods Free Throw Trophy, led the Illini in scoring with 13.7 points per game and in 3-point field goal percentage (41.9 percent) and blocked shots (32). McBride was third on the team in scoring (9.6 points per game) and led the team in minutes (32.0 minutes per game) and 3-pointers (82). The Springfield, Ill., native, who said he was “speechless” after receiving the award, believed Carter should have single-handedly taken home the honor, but Carter was quick to point out that McBride heavily influenced his success.

“I don’t think so; if it wasn’t for Rich I wouldn’t have had the season that I had,” Carter said. “He’s the one who got after me the most and made me have that type of season. He put his heart out there.”

As much as McBride wanted to give praise to his teammates, head coach Bruce Weber has applauded the ways in which McBride has developed his game since coming to Illinois in 2003, especially in light of the DUI arrest he had in October.

“Rich, he didn’t have the stats, but I don’t think he got appreciated for what he gave us,” Weber said. “He really got the most out of his abilities; I’m proud of what he did.”

The Illini handed out seven team awards in total.

Sophomore Chester Frazier, who is home in Baltimore following the death of his father to lung cancer, earned the Kenny Battle Most Inspirational Award and the Matt Heldman “Matto” Award, for having the highest point total of the season for “play-hard” statistics, such as steals, deflections and charges taken.

Junior Brian Randle, who missed more than 60 practices throughout the season because of groin surgery and plantar fasciitis, took home the Lou Henson Courage Award.