Illini add to recruiting class

By Erin Foley

Junior college forward Rodney Alexander committed to Illinois on Tuesday morning, according to a News-Gazette report.

The 6-foot-7 sophomore from Redlands Community College in Oklahoma averaged 13.8 points and 5.3 rebounds per game last season and has two years of eligibility remaining.

Illinois head coach Bruce Weber will hold an 11 a.m. press conference Wednesday to discuss the spring signing period. He is expected to talk about Alexander’s commitment, as well as last week’s commitment from shooting guard Quinton Watkins (Dominguez High School/Compton, Calif.).

Alexander’s letter of intent must be faxed from Redlands Community College to his parent’s home in Benton Harbor, Mich., before it arrives in Champaign.

The News-Gazette also reported that Alexander told former Redlands coach Steve Eck of his decision Monday night.

Alexander becomes the fifth signing/commitment of Illinois’ 2007 recruiting class. The Illini have also received letters of intent from point guard Demetri McCamey (Westchester St. Joseph’s), power forward Bill Cole (Peoria Richwoods) and center Mike Tisdale (Riverton).

Read more about Alexander’s commitment in Thursday’s edition of The Daily Illini.