Pruitt considers testing NBA waters

By Erin Foley

With a breakout season under his belt, Shaun Pruitt is contemplating a jump to the NBA ranks. At a Spring Signing Period press conference Wednesday, head coach Bruce Weber said that he has submitted Pruitt’s name to the NBA Underclassmen Advisory Committee in the hopes of getting some type of feedback on the junior forward’s status.

Pruitt has until April 29 to make his decision to enter the Draft, and by not hiring an agent, can preserve his eligibility and take his name of contention until June 18.

“Once we get some type of word back from them and what their feelings are, then Shaun and his family have to make a decision if it is worth it to submit your name and see where you stand,” Weber said.

Recently, Pruitt was awarded with the team’s Most Improved Player Award at the end of the year banquet. The Chicago native averaged 11.4 points per game and 7.5 rebounds per game. In his first two seasons, Pruitt averaged just 4.3 points per game, but after making it a point to improve on his game over the summer, get in better shape and lose weight, Pruitt became one of the Big Ten’s most dominant big men.

“A lot of kids now think it’s a good idea to submit your name to have workouts and maybe get into NBA Predraft camp in Orlando,” Weber said.

“Everybody has a dream of it, I just hope he does it the right way, is smart and listens to people and takes good advice.”

Randle injury update

Although Brian Randle’s second groin surgery last Friday was unexpected, Weber said that he is hoping that it will lead to an injury-free senior season and offer him some time to let his body recover.

“I just feel awful for him to be honest,” Weber said. “Now that he had another surgery, I think people should appreciate how much pain he played through the last half of the season without complaining and just tried to help us get to the NCAA Tournament.”

Randle is expected to sit out three to four months in order to make a complete recovery.

Randle traveled to Philadelphia last Thursday with his parents and Director of Sports Medicine Al Martindale to meet with Dr. William Meyers, the same physician who performed his first surgery on Nov. 17, after complaining of pain at the end of the season.

Weber and Randle both thought that Meyers would just suggest taking a couple weeks off. After suggesting surgery for additional tears, Meyers “found a lot more damage than ever anticipated,” Weber said.

“A good kid like this, you hope something will turn out well for him at the end,” said Weber of the foot, hand, groin, stomach and abdomen injuries Randle has had.

Weighing in on text messaging

According to an Associated Press report, the NCAA Division I management council has recommended a ban on all electronically transmitted correspondence, including text messages between coaches and recruits.

As of right now, there are no coaching limits on text messages, unlike phone calls and in-person visits. Weber said he wishes there could be some sort of medium.

“With everything, it’s all or nothing,” he said.

Although text messaging may get abused, Weber said he is in favor of the practice because it is an easy way to communicate with recruits.

“The thing I don’t like is you have kids texting you in school, and they’re questionable students,” he said. “If you just use it as a casual thing and to find information out, it’s a good thing.”

The NCAA Board of Directors still must pass the legislation, and if it is approved at its April 26 meeting, the ban would take effect in August. Weber said he would be in favor of adopting text messages only during certain hours, but said it would be too difficult.

Frazier returns to campus

Following the death of his father, Chester Frazier, Sr., Chester Frazier has returned to campus and will now go through therapy for his injured knee. Frazier will also be catching up on class work to make sure he doesn’t get “into a bind.”

“He will be able to shoot, do some treadmill stuff, but I don’t think he will be in any active competition. I’m pretty sure we will keep him out of everything,” Weber said.

Carlwell back in action

Just over two months removed from his Feb. 12 car accident, Brian Carlwell has started to get involved in workouts. Carlwell is slowly progressing from walking, to running, to getting to compete live action.

On Monday, Weber said he participated in two-on-two action and Tuesday, played one pickup game of five-on-five – which was his first on-the-court involvement.