Women’s golf strives toward weekend win

By Meghan Montemurro

The Illinois women’s golf team will look to continue their success this weekend in the Lady Buckeye Invitational at Ohio State.

The Illini will face a strong field of 13 teams, including Big Ten opponents Indiana, Iowa, Northwestern, Penn State, Purdue and Wisconsin.

“It’s a highly competitive field, and we are playing on one of the best college golf courses in the country,” head coach Renee Slone said. “I am hoping we can continue our solid play from last weekend at the Indiana Invitational.”

After being named co-Big Ten Golfer of the Week last week, junior Seul Ki Park will look to continue her solid performance. Park was the first Illini to be an individual medalist since Kristine Cook won the Illini Spring Classic in 2005.

“I feel that after her performance from last week that it was a huge confidence boost for the team,” Slone said. “With a strong finish like that again this weekend, we have the opportunity to finish in the top five.”

With good weather forecasted for the weekend, the Illini will look to take advantage of the course.

But there are still areas Slone hopes the team can improve on.

“We still need to work on the short game because putting can always be improved on,” Slone said. “We still need to minimize the number of three putts per round.”

Slone said the team has been preparing for the Scarlet Course, Ohio State’s home course, by working on fairway bunker play.

This is the final tune-up for the Illini as the Big Ten Championships is only a week away.

“The quality of the field and the quality of the golf course we are competing on definitely provide a great confidence boost heading in to the Big Ten Championships,” Slone said.

The 36-hole tournament begins on Saturday and will wrap up on Sunday.