Illinois splits four against conference duo at home

By Kyle Betts

Illinois softball seized and lost big opportunities against two conference rivals at Eichelberger Field this weekend.

The Illini (28-18, Big Ten 7-5) dropped the opening game of the weekend to Ohio State on Friday. The team had a small lead for most of the game thanks to the hitting of Shanna Diller, who had three RBIs off of a two-run home run and sacrifice fly. The Buckeyes fought back, though, by scoring two runs and taking a 7-6 lead in the top of the seventh inning that the Illini were not able to overcome.

“We were disappointed in the first game because we didn’t make plays and we didn’t come out aggressively,” head coach Terri Sullivan said. “We got a little out of our game plan and we didn’t play well.”

On Saturday, Illinois found themselves in another tight game with the Buckeyes, but again were unable to produce runs down the stretch. The Illini were losing 3-1 going into the fifth inning, when Diller came through again with a two-run homer to tie the game. Ohio State responded to with a home run of its own in the next inning and escaped the game with a 4-3 victory.

“We came out much more aggressive against (Ohio State) in the second game, and we really challenged them,” Sullivan said.

Instead of being on the losing end of close games all weekend, Illinois was able to turn its luck around and win two close games against Penn State.

The first game was a pitcher’s duel led by Ashley Wright’s strong six-inning performance. The Illini were able to hold on to their small lead and took the first game 4-3.

In the second game, Penn State jumped out to a quick lead by scoring four runs in the first inning. Illinois was held in check by the Nittany Lion pitching for most of the game until the bats finally came alive in the sixth inning and they scored five runs on five hits. The late comeback was completed as Wright shut down the Penn State hitters and took Illinois to a 7-5 victory.

“I was proud of how the team responded after going down four runs at the beginning,” Sullivan said. “Winning these one and two-run games is very important, and I think it shows how much our team has grown.”