Pruitt declares for NBA draft, has option to return to Illini

By Erin Foley

After establishing himself as one of the most improved post players in the Big Ten during the 2006-07 season, Shaun Pruitt declared for the NBA Draft on Tuesday.

The junior center is hopeful that competitive workouts will lead to feedback from NBA coaches and scouts and help him evaluate his ability to compete at the next level. By not hiring an agent, Pruitt will protect his college eligibility and has until June 18 – the early entry withdrawal deadline – to reverse his decision.

“After much thought, I’ve decided to enter the draft,” said Pruitt, who earned third-team All-Big Ten honors this season. “Over the past three years, I’ve learned a lot from the Illinois coaches, and my teammates have also helped make me a better player. I’ve also worked very hard to improve my skills, strength, stamina and overall game.”

Pruitt, a native of Aurora, Ill., is the only Illinois player to have started every game in each of the past two seasons. His 11.4 points per game (second on team) and 7.5 rebounds per game helped lead the Illini to a 23-12 overall record.

In his first two seasons, Pruitt averaged just 4.3 points per game in an average 13.7 minutes per game.

Last summer, Pruitt made a conscious effort to focus on offseason workouts and conditioning, which translated to nine double-doubles on the season and a rebounding total that ranked third in the Big Ten.

Head coach Bruce Weber, who last week submitted Pruitt’s name to the NBA Underclassmen Advisory Committee, said he would support Pruitt “as he pursues this opportunity.”

“This is a chance for Shaun to prove himself this spring, as well as continue to improve his game by undergoing a rigorous workout schedule,” Weber said. “If he does return to our program next season, he will be a better player by having gone through this process.”

Pruitt said that with his father’s help he will communicate with NBA teams and arrange workouts. Just credits away from graduating, Pruitt will also pursue “academic interests” during the spring and summer, he said.