Women’s golf confident for Big Tens this weekend

By Meghan Montemurro

After a rough performance at the Lady Buckeye Invitational, the Illinois women’s golf team looks to have a strong showing at the Big Ten Championships this weekend.

The tournament is taking place at Forest Akers West Golf Course in East Lansing, Mich. The Illini will attempt to take advantage of their knowledge of the golf course after playing there earlier this season.

“Having played this golf course in the fall, everybody feels confident that they know how to play the course as far as course management,” head coach Renee Slone said.

At the beginning of the season, Slone said the team set the goal of finishing in the top six at the Big Ten Championships and said she believes they have the opportunity to do so.

“I fully expect we can finish in the top six,” Slone said. “We are coming off of a performance that is less than satisfactory and I feel that we will be able to bounce back.”

Slone said the team’s performance will come down to course management and avoiding double bogeys and higher on its scorecards. lear and sunny skies are expected for the weekend. The Big Ten Championships begin Friday.