Baseball blows past Greenville

Dominic Altobelli gets picked off at first base during the Illinois baseball game against Greenville Wednesday. Beck Diefenbach

By Jason Grodsky

The Illinois baseball team wrapped up its non-conference home games with a win over Greenville College on Wednesday night.

In its final make-up game of the season, the Illini offense came to life. Illinois scored 16 runs on 17 hits and took advantage of three errors, six walks and four hit batters to beat the Panthers 16-1.

The victory was the sixth straight non-conference win for the Illini. During their six-game, non-conference winning streak the Illini have scored 68 runs and have held opponents to just 16 runs.

The Illini (22-20) were led by senior right fielder Ryan Snowden, junior second baseman Ryan Hastings and sophomore centerfielder Kyle Hudson. The Mattoon trio combined for six hits, three runs and six RBIs on the night.

“We did a good job offensively to the point where we were able to get some at bats for people that don’t usually play,” head coach Dan Hartleb said.

“We were very patient at the plate, there were only three to four at bats all night that weren’t quality.”

Illinois got things going quickly, sending 10 batters to the plate in the first inning and scoring six runs on five hits and stealing four bases in the opening frame.

By the time the Panthers got their first base runner of the game in the third inning, the Illini had built a 9-0 lead.

By the end of the game the Illini had scored in all but two plate appearances and had pounded out seven extra base hits, including triples by junior catcher Lars Davis and sophomore left fielder Joe Bonadonna.

“We tried to get on them early and we’re able to do that,” Hudson said. “Getting six runs in the first inning was huge because it is always tough for a team to come back from that.”

The 16 runs were more than enough run support for the Illini pitching staff. Six Illini pitchers took the mound against the Panthers and allowed just one run on six hits.

Sophomore pitcher Aaron Martin got the win for the Illini.

“Some young guys hadn’t got some innings got on the mound and pitched well,” Hartleb said.