Softball loss to Iowa gets team sixth seed

Sydney Lisy steals second base during an Illinois win, 5-0, against Bradley on Thursday. Beck Diefenbach

By Kyle Betts

Illinois softball (30-24, 7-8 Big Ten) had one goal going into its games this weekend at Iowa: Win both games and get the number-four seed in the Big Ten tournament. A dramatic extra inning game that was capped off by a walk-off home run kept the Illini from achieving what they set out to do.

“We knew it would be a big battle,” head coach Terri Sullivan said. “It always is when we play Iowa.”

In the first game on Saturday in Iowa City, Iowa, both teams put on an offensive display despite a strong wind blowing into the stadium.

Illinois got the scoring started in the first behind doubles from Shanna Diller and Lana Armstrong. But Iowa responded in the second with three runs of its own to take an early 3-1 lead.

It didn’t take long for the Illini to get back on the board again, as junior outfielder Mackenzie Smith hit a deep three-run homer to center field. Smith’s 11th shot of the season put Illinois up 4-3 and in control of the game.

“Mackenzie Smith brought us back into the game with one swing of the bat like she has done so many times this year,” Sullivan said.

Although the Illini had a lead, the Hawkeyes were able to fight back to tie the game in the bottom of the third. Illinois would get another lead after a Sydney Lisy double in the fifth, but Iowa again scored in the bottom of the inning to tie the game. Eventually, the teams took a 5-5 game into extra innings.

But disaster struck in the bottom of the eighth as Iowa hit a two run, walk-off home run to win the game 7-6 and end the Illini’s chances of getting the fourth seed.

With Sunday’s game cancelled due to rain, Illinois’ regular season came to an end, and the team finished as the sixth seed in the Big Ten tournament. They will face off against Michigan next weekend in the first round.